Feeler: Chinese K47/CK12 Capsule Groupbuy

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Order when we reach minimum quantities, or move ahead with K47 only?

• K47 only

Votes: 23 30.3%
  • Wait for CK12

Votes: 33 43.4%
  • Don't mind either way

Votes: 20 26.3%

• Total voters
ln76d said:
If visible is not,  in few places press the tape and find it you will!
May the Force be with you!

Can't seem to find holes that make sence. Only this pair on opposite sides.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
Ok, my fault :D

In the middle, where are backplate wires screwed, there are four holes close eachother, let say it's center.
From this point you have additional holes from both sides - look at the pic.
To mount saddle you need to remove one backplate wire.

Attachments

• K12.jpg
    K12.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 53
ding said:
ln76d said:
If visible is not,  in few places press the tape and find it you will!
May the Force be with you!

Can't seem to find holes that make sence. Only this pair on opposite sides.

Yes. You need to remove one of the blue wires. If you hold one side of the capsule mount to one of the blue wires then you can find the other hole on the opposite side of the mount under the tape. Decide it witch holes you want to use and prepare the bores as appropriate. To remove the back plate's cable just simply grab on it and turn it on the opposite way from clockwise (if it is makes sense...). I hope it helps.

ln76d said:
Thanks for comparison.
I promised few years ago to make comparison of C414EB p48 with originl capsule vs. RK12, but unfortunately microphone and the capsule which had to be used for comparison was stolen during the shipping...
I always wondered why people don't like teflon CK12. Becuase it isn't brass and akg make it as a replacement?
Of course both sounds different (as also teflon CK12 revisions) but still teflon is really great capsule, and truly high qulity. In fact i didn't found any chinese capsule (or US made chinese capsule) which could be in the same league.
As with all capsules - all depends on the circuit and some conditions. In one topology same capsule can sound ugly and in the other like a charm.
Teflon CK12 can work with really high polarisation voltages!
It can sound really different.
For example after few capsules comparison i used it in my S16 tube microphone project and the microphone sounds incredible.
C414EB P48 is one of my favourite FET microphones.
Capsule need to be at least 2072 Z 0005 revision. Previous were much worse.
You can try to mod microphone circuit and use original capsule.
If you will need help with that, just start new topic ;)

I agree with that. It depends on the circuit as well, but the new Ck12 (I have the 2072 Z 0005) has a special boomy wooden box sound for me. It is very sensitive especially for the lows as I experienced it, even from five meters it records crazy fat basses from the kick at the height of the sound hole. It is not really usable for quite finger picking guitars in this circuit only if you find an exceptionally quite tube and set it to low gain mode. And this is the place where the boomy sound comes in to the picture again. It may be the sound of the circuit's and capsule's combination but it always bothered me.

After the capsule swap I spent today a bit more time with the mic. Recorded some rock vocals (yes with the guy whose voice was just perfect with the at897)  and it really impressed me. It is not that sensitive and doesn't have that round sound, but it can cut through the mix after compression without equalisation and with good taste. It will not pick up the quietest breathe of the classical guitar player, but at least doesn't make everything sounding like a wooden box. It has a  bit blunt and less detailed sound next to the very high quality teflon ck12 but the overall picture is more colored and pleasant to the ears.

I can suggest it to everyone whose budget doesn't make it possible to buy a high end one. I want to use it mainly for vocals, so I think this capsule will stay in the mic until I can afford an original ck12 or a high quality copy. Or until I don't change my mind...

Does anyone has any other experience yet?

Edit: I know the samples could have been less distorted and roomy and etc. but you can hear the characters.

Capsules arrived here too. Very professional Banzai, thanks for your hard work and your patience.
Now I've to figure out wich schematic I'm going to use for them, just found some donor bodies.
Maybe I'll open a new thread to ask opinions.
Thanks again Banzai for putting this groupbuy together.

Waited for jockl and timeye, but they're not responding to any mails or pm's. Hope they're ok.

All remaining packages have been shipped...

Hello Banzai,
i wrote you a couple of emails, just to let you know that i'm back to work and you can ship my capsules.
Please keep me updated
cheers,
t

Just an idea, with many microphone builders here...
What about a microphone body groupbuy?
Many Chinese manufacturers would be happy to deliver you 100 (MOQ) or more unbranded microphone bodies.
Maybe we could even order two different body types. Would there be any interest in this? (Or any volonteers to arrange this?...)

RuudNL said:
Many Chinese manufacturers would be happy to deliver you 100 (MOQ) or more unbranded microphone bodies.
Maybe we could even order two different body types. Would there be any interest in this? (Or any volonteers to arrange this?...)

There was a try, but the idea died very quick.

ln76d said:
RuudNL said:

There was a try, but the idea died very quick.

If we mean the same try, then the guy who started it was in a hurry 'cause he needed half a dozen or so for himself.
Soon.
And hurrying will kill any groupbuy.

Or wait, do you mean the one that Banzai started along with this one?

Hi there,

I did try for a mic body group buy but not see much interest, and what I did see varied quite a bit from person to person. I think now at this point I am too busy to handle it myself, but of course would support it if someone wants to have a go.

micaddict said:
Thanks.
It might actually have been started by Andy Baker rather than Banzai.

Is this it?
http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=61708.0

If the price is reasonable to everywhere including the postage ( or at least to England for me) than you can probably count on enough orders. Actually if someone has a good cheap offer than I am in for two u47 fet style and maybe for two other bodies.

Ok, I've contacted Alctron about unmarked microphone body wholesale order, the price for MK47 type complete body metalwork set would be about ~75$\ea with MOQ 50pcs (think we could push it a bit lower if order more.))

http://www.alctron-audio.com/English/contents/95/473.html

This type of body should be even cheaper:

http://www.alctron-audio.com/English/contents/95/982.html

The main problem is shipping anyway - we would need a company address and someone who would be willing to handle it all, again  ;D

===

I got a message from Alctron, with some corrections:

"The price is $75 which only includes mic body, head grill and chassis. Please see attached picture. As we know, in general one completed microphone includes mic body, head grill, base ring, side ride rails fixed plate, capsule, chassis and PCB and so on, but I offered you $75 only for mic body, head grill and chassis. In addition, if you need completed microphone, MOQ needs 50pcs, but if you only want order some parts of microphone, the quantity must reach 300pcs at least."

So, not sure how much extra would they want for the rails and capsule base :)

Anyway, don't think that too much, but the main problem now is 300 MOQ for metalwork, so the way around may be ordering complete mic bodies with capsules and PCBs, if it will move MOQ to 50pcs

Latest posts

Back