Apex 460 tone switch?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexmc1988

I have an Apex 460 modified to a 251 style mic with an Eric Heisermann HK12 capsule. In the research I have done it seems like the biggest difference between a 251 and a C12 is 1 capacitor. I was wondering if it would be possible to add a switch to it to simply remove that cap from the circuit to get closer to a C12 sound. Might this be possible or would the switch cause to much noise when its switched to possibly hurt the mic?

No problem! Just add the switch.
If you want to avoid any 'pops' when switching, connect a high value resistor (for example 4.7 M.ohm) in parallel with the switch.
(In this case the capacitor is always loaded to the correct voltage when switching.)

0dbfs said:
Which cap are you referring to? Can you post schematics please? In the ones I looked at the differences appear more significant.

Cheers,
jonathan

Sorry I don't have a schematic. I didn't do the mod my self. Its an Apex 460 modded my Brian Fox at http://www.foxaudioresearch.ca/TheM251.htm

Mine has the Cinemag transformer. He mods the circuit and the power supply to be like a 251. I bought it with an RK12 capsule but I really didn't like the sound of it. I replaced it with the HK12 and Brian said I should change that cap to a 100pf for the 251 or just remove it for a C12. Removing it definitely makes the mic brighter. I'm not super concerned with it being historically accurate or anything. I just thought it would be great to have the voicing options.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back