NE654(N) - Dolby IC

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tata

got an old Philips tape deck from a friend for free.  its full of quality parts that i (hopefully) can use in my builds.
found an NE654N (actually 2, ofcourse) with TEA0652 in it, and i thought.. could this be resurrected somehow?

IMG_6983_Dolby_B-C_small.jpg

i know many of my collegues/ friends loved the Dolby B/C sound in their childhood, especially when they "misused" it.
wouldnt it be a nice 500s, or maybe a Colour module? for a minute i thought this wouldnt be easy, as these parts arent common nowadays - but it turns out that both of these ICs are still available (and not too expensive)

im all ears.  :)
thanks

I think it's the Dolby A modules that some mixers like (the Lord-Alge brothers come to mind). It was the pro version used for reel-2-reel recorders, B and C on the other hand are simplified consumer variants used for cassettes.

well yes..
i own 4x 361+CAT22 (modded) and i love em - but B/C also have their own effect on sound, and since they require way less components i thought it could be an intresting project?

IMG_6347_piggyplate.jpg
  - one of my Dolby racks. (2 more pots added since this photo)

Slightly off-topic: This picture of a DolbySR module always impresses me - like a piece of art:

Jakob E.

Attachments

• Dolby_SR_breadboard.jpg
    Dolby_SR_breadboard.jpg
    809.5 KB · Views: 29
Jakob:

and here is the finished version:

IMG_0963_SR_card_guts.jpg

anyone knows where to find datasheet for the 654n?

tata said:
anyone knows where to find datasheet for the 654n?

Back when I worked at Peavey who was a Dolby licensee (cassette deck used Dolby C), they gave us huge notebooks full of data sheets for all the available chip sets. So ask some current licensee or maybe Dolby itself.

My recollection was that the typical chips used simple (class A) single-supply transistor audio paths inside.

JR

PS: I do not mean to infer any support for using half of an encode/decode NR as an effect.

Latest posts

Back