RS 114 Limiter information

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodizzy

Good morning,

I have been perusing the internet this morning in search of more information regarding this early limiter used at Abbey Road before the RS124/Altec 436C and the Fairchild 660.  Thus far I have been able to find very little information.  It appears there were six made, with the dates 1954 and 1956 thrown around.  I don't see anything regarding their construction or operation.  Is it safe to assume these were based off of a pre-existing design, likely from the broadcast field? 

Apparently Norman Smith was a fan, but not many other engineers were, prompting its replacement.  There is a quote out there from 'RtB' that the limiter would cut off loud forte passages and sounded like chopped off toothpaste.  Not flattering to say the least, and I'm curious as to why it might have been used for the length of time it was, (replaced mid-'64)  if it was really as awful as described?

Many thanks for any insight.

I would purchase the 'RtB' book, but from what I can gather there is little information in the book regarding this unit.  Additionally, here in the states the book is going for over $400.00 used!

Another member here at one time owned an RS98 limiter, which I recall dated to roughly 1956.  Don't know anything about RS114. 

Latest posts

Back