Is this Orban 622B EQ potted or not potted?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llTheSystemll

hi

i am looking at getting a Orban 622B EQ but I am not 100% clear on how to tell whether it is potted or not. i have pics on the unit. i believe it is potted based on some of the text around black epoxy covered daughter boards.

thanks for your help
brian

Attachments

• bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 71
I think the question is:

Are there any Parts in the Orban that is Dipped in Epoxy and therefore unrepairable?

Its hard to tell from the picture. But those black things sure looks like epoxy. The part number on them seem to be the same so they must be the same part. Maybe an OP amp. But without schematic its hard to tell.

synthiaks said:
I think the question is:

Are there any Parts in the Orban that is Dipped in Epoxy and therefore unrepairable?

Its hard to tell from the picture. But those black things sure looks like epoxy. The part number on them seem to be the same so they must be the same part. Maybe an OP amp. But without schematic its hard to tell.

Yes this is what I am asking.  I have read several posts that describe what to look for and the versions that are potted (dipped/epoxy coated) are described as in thread as such:

"IF the unit you have is NOT full of epoxy potted modules, you will see eight little daughter boards.  If it IS full of epoxy
potted modules, proceed to the last step.  If you see the daughter cards exposed, however, you are in luck."

Based on this and the fact that daughter cards are not visible I am going to assume that this one is potted and not repairable or cannot be modded.

Thanks guys

llTheSystemll said:
"IF the unit you have is NOT full of epoxy potted modules, you will see eight little daughter boards. ....
When you look carefully at your picture, what do you see: eight little daughter boards or eight black modules ?

llTheSystemll said:
....  If it IS full of epoxy potted modules, proceed to the last step.  If you see the daughter cards exposed, however, you are in luck."

Based on this and the fact that daughter cards are not visible I am going to assume that this one is potted and not repairable or cannot be modded.
I think you can always replace the eight black modules with eight little - self-made - daughterboards to influence your luck.  ;)

If The unit is somehow broken and one or more Potted parts  are Fried you could give it a try and rebuild the Black block. Its broken anyway so you wouldn't make it work less.

You just have to find schematics or some nice person with a version without the epoxy and nag him/her to take photos or redraw what they contain, bigger project though :)!

Latest posts

Back