AUNetsend - AUNetreceive

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyraf

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
Anyone here using mac os native AUNetsend - AUNetreceive?

I'd like to be able to experiment with remote demoing of my commercial stuff, and I think these functions (insert send to web, insert receive from web) would be the easiest way. That is, in combination with skype for controlling my knob turning..

Possible?

I've been out of macs since os9, so I don't know limitations and possibilities - these functions were supposedly introduced around 10.6

Jakob E.

Edited: Wrong name  ::)

gyraf said:
Anyone here using mac os native AUNetsend - AUNetreceive?

I'd like to be able to experiment with remote demoing of my commercial stuff, and I think these functions (insert send to web, insert receive from web) would be the easiest way. That is, in combination with skype for controlling my knob turning..

Possible?

I've been out of macs since os9, so I don't know limitations and possibilities - these functions were supposedly introduced around 10.6

I've never used the feature, but i can try it tonight, setting up an Audio Unit host to send from one Mac to another Audio Unit host on the other Mac. The Audio Unit host can be, I think, any Mac audio application which supports Audio Unit plug-ins, but I'll use AU Lab (free with the developer tools) because it's lightweight.

-a

gyraf said:
Great - thanks!

And yes, I'll need it to work over the internet - it's here it would be brilliant for remote hardware demo...  :)

HAH .. it works!

I am sitting in the office at work, on my MacBook Pro, and I use Apple's Back To My Mac VNC to share the screen of the iMac at home, and the Mac at home is playing some Pat Metheny.

Here is what I did. For both send and receive I used the AU Lab program, which gets installed along with the developer tools. AU Lab is a simple Audio Unit host program.

a) Open port 52800 on the router for both TCP and UDP. That is the default port used by AUNetSend and AUNetReceive.

b) On the "Send" machine, launch AU Lab. Create a new document (File => New). For a configuration, the Stereo Out is fine. Change the Audio Input Device to "None," and click "Create Document."

c) From the menu, choose "Edit => Add Audio Unit Generator." A dialog pops up, with the default Generator being AUAudioFilePlayer.  This will let you play files from the sending machine. Click OK.

d) Now in the document, you'll see Generator 1 and Output 1. At the top of Generator 1 you'll see the AU Generator plug-in. Double-click that to bring up the file list dialog. Here is where you specify the file(s) to play, and whether they loop and such.  if you double-click the "Audio Files +..." a standard file-select dialog pops up. Choose whatever files you want to play.

e) In the Generator 1 "channel strip,"  double-click on one of the Effects slots, and the Audio Unit chooser pops up. Look for and select AUNetSend. A dialog pops up.

f) Give the thing a Bonjour name and make up a password. Choose the data format. You probably want one of the compressed formats unless you're sure your net connection won't drop packets. Click "connect" and the transmit connection starts.

g) Back in the Generator's Audio Files dialog, press "play," and you'll see the meters light up along with the source music.

h) On the receive machine, launch AU Lab and create a new document like on the send machine. Only in this case, instead of choosing AUFilePlayer for the generator, choose AUNetReceive.

i) Double-click on the AUNetReceive at the top of the Generator channel strip. A dialog opens. Click on the "+" in the lower left corner to add a new host. Give it a display name (can be anything), and then for Host Name and Port, you need to add something that resolves to your sending machine. This is the tricky part. I use a dynamic DNS system, so I have a host name that resolves to the home network, and the port is the same 52800 that is open on the router and that the AUNetSend uses. For example, the host name and port can be footer.gyraf.org:52800. Also enter the password you set for the connection. Click OK to close the dialog.

j) Select the host you set up and click "Select Host." The receiver will immediately try to connect to the sender, and the status will reflect that . If a connection is made, you will start to hear the audio that is being transmitted and your channel strip meters will light up.

So there it is.

!!!!

Thanks for this elaborate explanation Andy!

Seems like it's exactly what I'll need for starting booking remote demos!

I'll keep you posted about how this turns out...

Jakob E.

Can you say more about the "tricky part"? What is the anatomy of "footer.gyraf.org:52800", and how does it relate to the host name you set on the sending end, which you don't describe? If I have a Local Host Name, say "myname", would it be something like "myname.local:52800" for this field? My AUNetReceive never changes from "Not connected" when I click "Connect"--not even a "Connecting". Wish there was an "incorrect username/password" dialog, or some more info, APPLE. :)

If you are on the same wireless network, are you automatically on the same Bonjour network? Bonjour is a mystifying protocol. If there are any steps to do that, please list them.

I also don't know how to do step a), "Open port 52800 on the router for both TCP and UDP." Please describe. What is "the router"? Is this something in System Preferences?

see e.g.: https://weblog.rogueamoeba.com/2005/05/19/

The trick is probably to do with "extending" bonjour to look at some web space in stead of only on localnetwork

Jakob E.

ccrmalite said:
I also don't know how to do step a), "Open port 52800 on the router for both TCP and UDP." Please describe. What is "the router"? Is this something in System Preferences?

Your network will have a router somewhere which mediates between your internal network and the outside world (internet). By default most routers have all ports blocked apart from those in use

If AUNetsend & AUNetreceive use port 52800 then they expect to see outgoing & incoming traffic on that port. You'll have to set the router up to pass traffic on that port. You may also need to forward that traffic to the relevant internal IP address

For most people their router is the internet modem / router supplied by their ISP

Nick Froome

ccrmalite said:
Can you say more about the "tricky part"? What is the anatomy of "footer.gyraf.org:52800", and how does it relate to the host name you set on the sending end, which you don't describe? If I have a Local Host Name, say "myname", would it be something like "myname.local:52800" for this field? My AUNetReceive never changes from "Not connected" when I click "Connect"--not even a "Connecting". Wish there was an "incorrect username/password" dialog, or some more info, APPLE. :)

Re-read what I wrote.  You know what the sending machine is called, so that's what you enter for host name and port. This is trivial if the machines are on the same local network. Jakob wanted the two machines to connect over the Internet, which is "tricky" because if the machines are behind firewalls and such, you have  to manage that.

If you are on the same wireless network, are you automatically on the same Bonjour network? Bonjour is a mystifying protocol. If there are any steps to do that, please list them.

If you are on the same network and you are using Apple devices, Bonjour just works.

The router is basic networking. It is something that manages a connection between the Internet and your local network. I have an Apple Airport Extreme base station working as my router.

The point I was making is again because Jakob needs to connect two machines over the public internet. If your machines are on the same local network, you don't need to do this.

I have no idea if it fits your scenario, but cubase has a remote recording option which uses a free software as client on the remote side. I didn't investigate it further, but if it was suitable for your needs it had the benefit of being available on mac and pc and it should be easy to set up.

Michael

Back