Role of the vent in the back of a MXL 603 capsule

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ubxf

Hello,
i'm thinking of having an adapter machined to be able to have an MXL 603 capsule detached from the body and linked by a short cable ( about a foot ). Do i need to have the slots found on the body replicated on the adapter.
I'm trying to do something a little like this http://www.rode.com/microphones/nt6

Great Thanks. How does it work with the omni capsule the vent are there  the same as the cardioid capsule

Obviously the omni capsule doesn't have a holes in the backplate so the sound can't reach the membrane from the back.

: ) oops it makes perfect sense. So if i block the vent on the cardioid capsule it essentially becomes omni . What would i need to do to make it wide cardioid, 1/2 the vents?

Long and complex story - Microphone mechanics are not as simple as that.

Look up the Microphone Engineering Handbook or the AIP handbook of condenser microphones - or sift through the microphone meta...

..and extending distance from capsule to head amplifier is rarely a good idea. It's more like asking for trouble...

Jakob E.

ubxf said:
...So if i block the vent on the cardioid capsule it essentially becomes omni...
Yes. Sometimes you can see sound engineers cover the back side of a vocal microphones  on the stage during sound check  with hands to find out how close are to feedback and how much reserve gain they have from monitor speakers. They temporary change the cardioid characteristic of the microphone to omni. 
What would i need to do to make it wide cardioid, 1/2 the vents?

As Jakob  already said, it's not so simple.  Google also neumann pdf about microphones if you want some more information.

..and extending distance from capsule to head amplifier is rarely a good idea. It's more like asking for trouble...Jakob E.

I believe that Rode microphone from the link has impedance converter in the capsule body.

i see so it's like a shoeps active cable the FET and associated components are right next to the capsule. For my little diy experiment the simplest way would be to cut the top part of the mic and have it next to the capsule and have the cable connection downstream to the rest of the mic body.

Latest posts

Back