mxl990 mods

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seancook

Hi,
just wondering if anyone has the internal dimensions of the 990 end piece, im trying to figure out whether or not i can shoehorn in a cinemag CM-13101 transformer. I'm planning on on building the fet847 on a circular pcb to fit on the 990 rails.
cheers
sean

I'm not sure where the the base plate is but it looks like the Tx could just fit in with some persuasion.
If I find the base plate I'll try and fit a ami tx in it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
To be honest it's not a good body. It is very ringy. I would grab another body for a nice capsule like that.
The GT-2B from chunger would be a much better option at $82 including
Shockmount.
;D

benqbasic said:
To be honest it's not a good body. It is very ringy.

Put silicone inside the body pipe and technical foam (3mm) at the bottom of it.
Remove one layer of the mesh put same technical foam inside the headbasket frame and also underneath the capsule mount.
No "ringy" at all ;)

ln76d said:
Remove one layer of the mesh put same technical foam inside the headbasket frame and also underneath the capsule mount.
No "ringy" at all ;)

Good info and this is similar to what I have ended up doing. But why not start with a better body to begin with.

benqbasic said:
ln76d said:
No "ringy" at all ;)

Good info and this is similar to what I have ended up doing. But why not start with a better body to begin with.

These bodies have their pluses also - diameter of headbasket is pretty good.
770 is longer (better for tube circuits) and the longest is 992 if you need to put inside big stuff.
They are cheap - especially from second hand.

A transformer will fit under the circuit board. There is enough room in the base  :D

Attachments

• File 31-12-15, 1 53 51 PM.jpeg
    File 31-12-15, 1 53 51 PM.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 81
Back