RE-301 Space Echo Sound on Sound Repair / Not Working

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilyaa

the unit works totally fine EXCEPT:

sound on sound acts weird...instead of layering sounds as you play them, it seems to be recording the direct signal and then playing it back MUCH later. so you hit a note and then you wait....and wait.....and then finally you hear it again. almost like its working like a regular tape machine used for recording stuff. does that make sense?

any thoughts what might be happenin here???

EDIT: waaait a second! i was comparing the 301 sound on sound to 501 sound on sound. didnt realize it was a different circuit altogether!! in the 301 the SonS head PRECEDES the others, including the record/erase head - in the 501 it FOLLOWS them - TOTALLY different effect....so i guess its working! whoops!

gswan said:
Sure the tape is not running backwards?
Or perhaps he got a modified 301 from Robert Fripp.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frippertronics

Shut off the erase head of any tape delay, and the sound would eventually come around again so you could add to it, timing was loop length and speed dependent.

Back in the day, we also played around with pulling a long loop of tape from between the record and playback heads of a good R/R deck, of a time length to run through a full verse of what we were doing, loop and add to it as we went.

It was fun at the time, but then again, I really don't miss pot at all, that was a '70/80s thing.
;-)

Gene

Latest posts

Back