Railroad engines...pouring on the coal..literally!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
>> the magnet weight isn't on you

> It is when NOT semi-sucking. It's high over your hood.

So?

A couple hundred extra extra pounds about three feet at the most, forward of the front wheels on a 3000# car, might affect the ultimate limits of handling through the slalom course cones a bit. Maybe a noticeable difference in handling, maybe not, but nothing wacky and unsafe for the road.

> > 1/16" necessary

> A truck will *brake* over 0.5G. Since they all have ABS now (since 1996), 0.8G is possible on the best surfaces. Yes, this is relieved when you get on your brakes (or your brake control kicks in), but there will be a lag. Pretty-near the full weight of your car "standing" on 1/16" tube? Plus if the semi is braking hard for a real problem, it may be moving-over in its lane, side-forces.

Hmmm, interesting idea:  Trailer surge brake setup between the towbar and the magnet array, perhaps a large spring compressing, actuating a slide pot from an old Yamaha console (I have plenty of spares). The output voltage controls a PWM driven solenoid applying proportional force to the brake pedal in the car.

Naah, too complicated, would cost more than you would save in fuel being a stowaway.

I still stand behind the 1-1/2 square tubing thing, as long as the 30: 1 rule of thumb (*1) isn't violated, 1-1/2 x 1/16"  can take tons of compression without buckling, and weighs little.  This means up to 45" long arms on the towbar, and they don't need to be that long.

If 1/16" wall bothers you, go with 1/8" wall. 

Note: (*1):  rule of thumb from machine element design: any structural element under compression stress can have a ratio no greater than 30 : 1, meaning length : width. 

Gene

This seems more like a beer fogged mental exercise to suss out "if" it could be done (still maybe IMO).

Trucks already have it hard enough climbing hills, imagine with parasite cars hanging on for a free ride. Maybe you could let the car help the truck on hills.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
This seems more like a beer fogged mental exercise to suss out "if" it could be done (still maybe IMO).

Trucks already have it hard enough climbing hills, imagine with parasite cars hanging on for a free ride. Maybe you could let the car help the truck on hills.

I thought that this was the whole point of this section of this DIY site, this thing called the Brewery.

Debating nonsensical ideas that none of us will actually build, it is about the concept of design, putting our collective heads together to make it work in theory. Something you used to call "mental masturbation". I'm sure that if PRR an I keep at it with some input from you and anyone else that wants to chime in. we can end this thread with  a ready-to-test design. So what if we don't actually build it, as it would be both illegal and rude as hell to the truck driver that may be an owner-operator. and paying for his own fuel.

Either way, and most importantly, we all walk away from the topic having learned from each other, in my opinion, the Ultimate Point.

Gene

Gene Pink said:
JohnRoberts said:

I thought that this was the whole point of this section of this DIY site, this thing called the Brewery.

Debating nonsensical ideas that none of us will actually build, it is about the concept of design, putting our collective heads together to make it work in theory. Something you used to call "mental masturbation". I'm sure that if PRR an I keep at it with some input from you and anyone else that wants to chime in. we can end this thread with  a ready-to-test design. So what if we don't actually build it, as it would be both illegal and rude as hell to the truck driver that may be an owner-operator. and paying for his own fuel.

Either way, and most importantly, we all walk away from the topic having learned from each other, in my opinion, the Ultimate Point.

Gene

Amuse and please yourself, not me. 

JR 

Back to original topic...LOL....  here's an Olde School 16mm film I may have seen when I was in elementary/grade screwl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXcD6ZdPR9k

Bri

Latest posts

Back