Inductors of 553 API EQ

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepel_sun

Hello,
I'm an audio technician near Paris, France (I repair for a long time Neve, SSL,API ...) . I also manufacture audio racks (with two channel in general), and audio machines :

www.aoc-audio.fr
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=881349678584417&set=a.881349631917755.1073741825.100001281804368&type=3&theater
Facebook : aocaudio sylvain pelletier

I remanufactured the 553 api eq, and i would like to get me, the two inductors in this eq, for the low frequencies, and for the middle.
http://images.google.fr/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.capi-gear.com%2Fcatalog%2Fimages%2Fgallery%2F553F%2F553F_3-inductors.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcapi-gear.com%2Fcatalog%2Fproduct_info.php%3Fproducts_id%3D417&h=600&w=800&tbnid=qHoZD9ag3EW6kM%3A&docid=eRxJnkDMoaDQ7M&ei=RZSnVsHoKomva5WMuqgH&tbm=isch&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=445&page=1&start=0&ndsp=20&ved=0ahUKEwiBn9Lx6MfKAhWJ1xoKHRWGDnUQrQMITjAP

Can anyone tell me where to buy them?

Thank you very much.
Sylvain (Paris)

Attachments

• 553F-partial-parts (2).jpg
    553F-partial-parts (2).jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 29
HI Sylvain!

As I remember original 553 contain 1H and 0.1H inductors. So you can use Carnhill inductors that can be purchased from aufiomaintance.
Check this threads:
http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=40203.0
http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=12161.0

I still have the original inductors for the 5003eq. I wonder if the audio maintenance coils are any quieter....?

desol said:
I still have the original inductors for the 5003eq. I wonder if the audio maintenance coils are any quieter....?

About what  quieter ? Noise? Radiation ?

Attachments

• 553F-partial-parts (2).jpg
    553F-partial-parts (2).jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 11
Good luck.
For this EQ to sound sweet like the original, it requires the correct core toroidial inductor pye wound with extremely fine gauge wire. No air core or metal core will sound correct.
The only way to get them is to have them custom made, of the few places that can do this properly most will not make less than 100 per run.
Classic API has the closest available with his 553 kits, but will not sell them separately.

If you can fins a NOS Triad toroid audio type that is your best bet

OBTW this should be in the EQ section..

nielsk said:
Classic API has the closest available with his 553 kits, but will not sell them separately.

Ha! So a clone company(that is a major part of the forum) is now choosing to shun the very community it came from.
Doesn't surprise me at all.

Back to our regular scheduled programming.

I would cut him a little slack as it takes a bunch of $$ to have all the parts made for a venture like that, and it is not always possible to afford to buy extras to sell as parts.
That being said I wish he would sell me some!
I love real 553s and have a few API ones with bad inductors
If someone wants to undertake running a group buy I know a company that can make them and I have the specs

Sounds good to me.

Hey, weren't you the guy that sold me those Trident A range line inputs a long while back off ebay? I still have them...haven't used them yet!

If it's not you, forget it, this message will self destruct in 30 seconds.

nielsk said:
I would cut him a little slack as it takes a bunch of $$ to have all the parts made for a venture like that, and it is not always possible to afford to buy extras to sell as parts.
That being said I wish he would sell me some!
I love real 553s and have a few API ones with bad inductors
If someone wants to undertake running a group buy I know a company that can make them and I have the specs

What Should I invest so that this company wants to make good inductors?

It would take a few thousand dollars, I am pretty sure the minimum per parts is at least 100 and there are two inductors required.
If someone is seriously interested in running a group buy you can email me for the information, but it may be difficult for pepel_sun to run one as you don't have a lot of mileage here.
It does ask for a lot of trust... and (having done it before) it is a lot of work just for the love of it

desol said:
nielsk said:

Ha! So a clone company(that is a major part of the forum) is now choosing to shun the very community it came from.
Doesn't surprise me at all.

Back to our regular scheduled programming.

There are people here who do not want to share anything. And it is not worth to be clever with the inductors of the first picture because it is not the original. The original inductors, I worked with a long time ago, in France, before the DIY exist. So who really knows if the capi-gear inductors are identical ? Perhaps nobody!

Attachments

• Composants5.jpg
    Composants5.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 67
Uhhh, did nielsk offer to run a group buy?  :p

Put me down for 4 of both values.

As a member of Diy community one could always wind your own variations and compare to find one that suits the ear...

shabtek said:
Uhhh, did nielsk offer to run a group buy?  :p

Put me down for 4 of both values.

As a member of Diy community one could always wind your own variations and compare to find one that suits the ear...

You ask me if I want to order 4 inductors for each value ?  4  inductors of 100 millihenry  and for inductors of 1 Henry ? That's it ? It's obviously ok for me.

Attachments

• 10931216_881349678584417_2782648926723875525_n.jpg
    10931216_881349678584417_2782648926723875525_n.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 32
Forum member.                # "553inductor" pairs

Shabtek                                        4
Pepel_sun                                    4

shabtek said:
Forum member.                # "553inductor" pairs

Shabtek                                        4
Pepel_sun                                    4

I do not know how much will cost a pair of inductors . Next the price I command rather 5 or 6 pairs.

I have offered to provide information to anyone who wants to undertake this, unfortunately I am not able to run a group buy at this time...
But I will partake of 6 sets if it happens...

My investigation of 553 and it’s inductors give me a slight results.

1. I find that Auditronics 110 and 501 channel strips have a pretty same “swinging input” principle of equalisation. You can find their schematics on gdiy Tech Data page. More then that if you will look at the pictures of 553 and 501  you can find a pretty close looking inductors! Looks like both has the same type of inductors that was made on the same factory. That’s a chance to get some real information about them:)

Attachments

• 501_2.png
    501_2.png
    517 KB · Views: 41

Latest posts

Back