Chinese U47 and C12 style microphone bodies and vintage style power supply Group buy.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andybaker28

Hi all!

I have all the information  about the mic bodies and tube mic power supplies,  hoping we can get the ball rolling now!

There is a C12 styled body, a U47 styled body, and also a vintage styled power supply. The power supply is not just a case, but a working 9 position pattern selecting one that is on the inside, exactly like the old flatter one the comes with the Apex 460 etc. Each body and each PS will cost $40 usd.

I have been in connection with the factory and have gotten photos of the bodies and the power supply. I have the photos inside this folder in my dropbox. Also you will notice two photos I have taken from a power supply that I believe to be the same one that I had gotten from mic&mod to let those interested to know if PCBs normally used will fit properly inside. They are held in with small L brackets on the floor of the supply. I also have pictures of the power supply inside of the one from the factory and can see that it is in fact a bit different in the layout. I still think that with a bit of reconfiguring, it could work well with the PCBs that are available. Also on the SYT 6000, emailed the factory about the writing CONDENSOR MICROPHONE and have confirmed with them, that will not be on the body that we get.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/14blgqshqgwz4qh/AAAC0e4X_4W6NuA1zJi9gWKAa?dl=0

I have added up the numbers that I have gotten from members interested so far, but also realise things may change now that there are definite photos,  prices, and the added power supply. Of course anyone who requested a few bodies before can just let me know if they would like to change from the list below.  A few people were interested in the bodies from AV leader but they just were not able to produce them it seemed, they had no interest in selling only bodies. Sorry for that.. I did not put those on the list.

I was told that it would take 60 days to produce the bodies after payment was made, so just want to let that be known. It won't be quick.

I will try to update and correct the list of those  interested every few days and keep it here on the first page so that we may know how close we are to reaching 100..

C12-----      U47-----    power supply

1                                              1                  Ding

2                      2                    4                  Ghiatorino

2                      2                                          Berl

1                      2                    3                  Vizcities

1                                          Rockinrob86

2                      2                    4                  Hawkmoon

1                      1                                          DjaiTeam

1                                                                    DeepDark
-------------------------------------------------------
10                    10                12

Also want to let you know that there will be a shipping fee from China to Taiwan, which is where I live now. I will try to get a quote from the factory on that as we get closer, I can't imagine it will be too much judging from past experiences. I had a console shipped here from China for about $300usd in the past.  When or if we get enough interest to go through with the purchase I will ask that you paypal my account the total so that production may begin, and then a separate time at the end for shipping from Taiwan to you.

Hope we can make it happen!

Also for those of you who want to consider the shipping rates from Taiwan to your country, here is a link for post here in taiwan.
http://www.post.gov.tw/post/internet/U_english/index.jsp?ID=1378163927705
prices are in NTD

Thanks

Andy

Well, finding out some minimum order quantities (and starting / maximum prices) should be a practical-enough first step, i'd think :)

Khron said:
Well, finding out some minimum order quantities (and starting / maximum prices) should be a practical-enough first step, i'd think :)

Of the three email exchanges so far. All have said 100 minimum on quantity.. Prices so far have been a bit hard to get, though I did get a quote for 38.00 each before on a C12 style. Still exchanging emails with another, but its very slow.

Well, as mentioned in the capsule thread a couple weeks ago, they may have well been in the pre-chinese-new-year "crunch" to get stuff done :) Aaaaaand i'd be kinda surprised if they'll be terribly chatty in the next couple of weeks either.

Might as well wait for some interest to add up, and get back to this after mid-february :)

what about this?
http://groupdiy.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=2106e4c8lf5p3l8790i1ga5iv6&topic=50015.0

That (and my recent connector-standard gripes) raise a good point - would the bodies include the XLR inserts that go into the bottom tube?

(Cue the butt jokes :D )

Potentially i could go for "TUBE 3" model in black.
Only beacuse it doesn't look like any poor, trying to look like, C12 or u47 or u87.
Simple design
With some minor changes it could be great platform for different microphone circuits.
I think about tube design :)
Since tendency is to make "clone" of something probably there will not be interest for groupbuy on this model...

Khron said:
That (and my recent connector-standard gripes) raise a good point - would the bodies include the XLR inserts that go into the bottom tube?

(Cue the butt jokes :D )

I guess it would be wise to go ahead and have that included, no reason not to I guess.

In case of multipin inserts, it'll be important to specify which kind (industry-standard,  or Switchcraft, since the latter seem to be doing their own thing).

And on this topic, i'd love to find a source for industry-standard inserts...

I think that multipin insert have no sense. One would want 3pin, other 5pin and another 7pin.
Wish list can be long.
6pin which isn't common is the only problematic connector due to "standard".
Rest is compatible.
You can buy  switchcraft, neutrik  or chinese connector and these will fit the body.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images1000x1000/switchcraft_a7mb_a_series_7_pin_xlr_929660.jpg
http://www.broadcasteng.com/Specials/Switchcraft_4pmxlr.jpg
http://image.made-in-china.com/43f34j00AOyQclBdiRbw/Competitive-Audio-Connectors-7-Pin-Male-XLR-Connector-with-RoHS.jpg
http://www.neutrik.com/en/xlr/xlr-chassis-connectors/p-series/
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/314-BxW1W-L.jpg

Thanks for taking this on.

One body that I would love to see, but don't know if the demand is there, is a U49.

Current  options include Flea (around 1,000 euros) ,  Aputis (approx 420 euros) and Riggler (availability date not announced).

Be interested to see what the interest level would be for a good quality, but reasonably priced body.

Cheers
Mac

From what i know, there's no M49 style option.
There was a SE electronics "MINI" microphone looking  little bit similar to M49.
Currently out of production.
Am using "mini" body for tube mike project which currently  building.
It's little bit smaller than M49 body, there's a little space inside for parts, but the body itself is made in high standard and much better than most of chinese products. Most parts is made from brass and the plating looks much more pro than alctrons, mxl and others. Only on second hand market - whole microphone to buy, but!
Capsule is really great k67 style 34mm (used in other project), circuit PCB (semi-u87 wiith emitter follower + 2:1 transformer) is rectangular and well made (will go to another project :) ). Most of the parts is usable for many projects, only disadventage is small space inside.

Not to distract from the topic but in regards to the M49, AMI/TAB makes a fantastic M49 (I have 2 of them).  I don't know if they are selling them individually or only as kits but their most basic kit includes a BV11r transformer, binder bell, fully-built acrylic platforms with stand-offs, and solder tags installed (for P2P builds).  I don't want to quote a price but, when buying the basic kit, if you subtract the value of the xformer and other parts, the body is around $300~ish.  Assuming your're doing a P2P and want a BV11r, it's a great deal for the quality, IMO.  Oliver told me a couple of years ago that he would sell the bodies for $600 on their own  but that was then.

Back to topic, if you plan to do this Chinese group buy, please understand that it takes a great amount of dedication and the ability to have finances hung up for a while.  Several well-meaning DIYers have undertaken group projects, became frustrated, dragged their feet or quit altogether, and screwed over a lot of people in the process.  Make sure you're able to see it to completion and are willing, and able, to take the hit if something goes wrong (which it sometimes does). 

On the positive side, it's a good idea to skip the PSU, cables, flightcase etc. Makes the project much more manageable, especially if you'll be taking care of it on your own.

Can definitely help out with factory links if you need them. Which ones have you spoken to so far?

Banzai said:
On the positive side, it's a good idea to skip the PSU, cables, flightcase etc. Makes the project much more manageable, especially if you'll be taking care of it on your own.

Can definitely help out with factory links if you need them. Which ones have you spoken to so far?

Hey Banzai, So far I have spoken only with Dicon, A/V Leader, and the prices I got were from ShuaiYin. ShauYin was in the process of moving and so it was not possible to get any samples as of yet. I was told they would be back open after CNY.

I can see what you mean about the amount of work involved, and the amount of money you would have to have prepared. I guess first I just want to see if there is interest from others to do such a group buy. I am not sure if people are that interested in Chinese bodies, I am aware many think they feel too cheap. Also not sure if we could get the kind of numbers we would need of the same models.

maq3396 said:
Thanks for taking this on.

One body that I would love to see, but don't know if the demand is there, is a U49.

Current  options include Flea (around 1,000 euros) ,  Aputis (approx 420 euros) and Riggler (availability date not announced).

Be interested to see what the interest level would be for a good quality, but reasonably priced body.

Cheers
Mac

I would love a M49 as well! I already have the PCBs for one of those now. I guess keep your eyes out for any of the Chinese made bodies that you are interested in and let me know.

Gus said:
what about this?
http://groupdiy.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=2106e4c8lf5p3l8790i1ga5iv6&topic=50015.0

This a good source for sure, I am just trying to get costs down a little as I plan to build several mics.

Bowie said:
  Not to distract from the topic but in regards to the M49, AMI/TAB makes a fantastic M49 (I have 2 of them).  I don't know if they are selling them individually or only as kits but their most basic kit includes a BV11r transformer, binder bell, fully-built acrylic platforms with stand-offs, and solder tags installed (for P2P builds).  I don't want to quote a price but, when buying the basic kit, if you subtract the value of the xformer and other parts, the body is around $300~ish.  Assuming your're doing a P2P and want a BV11r, it's a great deal for the quality, IMO.  Oliver told me a couple of years ago that he would sell the bodies for $600 on their own  but that was then.

Back to topic, if you plan to do this Chinese group buy, please understand that it takes a great amount of dedication and the ability to have finances hung up for a while.  Several well-meaning DIYers have undertaken group projects, became frustrated, dragged their feet or quit altogether, and screwed over a lot of people in the process.  Make sure you're able to see it to completion and are willing, and able, to take the hit if something goes wrong (which it sometimes does).

Hey thank you for the warning, I have for sure been thinking a lot about the risks involved with this idea. As of now I just want to see if there is much interest from the members here on this thread. If there is not many who would want to participate I think I will not be able to go forward with it. Seems though if we could get the kind of responses that the capsule group buy did it would be a safer bet. Even if had to sell a few off later on it would be ok for me. Seems like it might be difficult to get the numbers we need with all the different choices of body styles. I will keep watching to see what the feedback here is like, then make my decision whether or not to pursue. I hope we can!

I would be interested in a c12 body if I can also get the PSU. Even if it is just the enclosure and the power transformer as many PCB kits here include a PCB for the power supply with the original power transformer. If this is possible then count me in.

I second that - these transformers are damn near "custom", ie. not exactly what you can buy "off the shelf", so that would be quite a welcome addition :)

ding said:
I would be interested in a c12 body if I can also get the PSU. Even if it is just the enclosure and the power transformer as many PCB kits here include a PCB for the power supply with the original power transformer. If this is possible then count me in.

Back