Boolean simplification is for the birds

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MicDaddy

GDIY Supporter
Why should I not crutch a Karnaugh map?

I can do some simplifying, but more often than not I make a mistake, or am unable to reach a most reduced expression.

The Karnaugh mapping just seems very intuitive to me.

Everything digital is clicking and feels "logical" to me, except for simplifying....

I haven't done a K-map in ages. :)

Write your expression in Verilog, and let the Verilog synthesizer tell you how to implement it in the fewest possible gates.  That's worked well for me for the past 15+ years. :)

MicDaddy said:

I can do some simplifying, but more often than not I make a mistake, or am unable to reach a most reduced expression.

Everything digital is clicking and feels "logical" to me, except for simplifying....

They have computers for that now.

-a

Andy Peters said:
MicDaddy said:

They have computers for that now.

-a

Was just about to say that. There are powerful languages to express that now. That would be just a very fine slice of it.

And then think about what others things you can express there.

And for the forthcoming worker problems of the future, there are robots to do that. Better be the ones to program them.

Thank you all and I appreciate your input. This is for school and there's no "letting the computer do it" on a test.

We have since moved on to flipflops. Hopefully I can forget about having to do manual simplification and leave it for the logic converter in NI multi sim.

On another note, digital is starting to get fun.

Back