Recap Amek Tac Bullet/B2 console

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feller909

Hi All!
I'm new here...
I'm going to start recapping of a Tac Bullet and a B2 consoles.
I don't have any soldering and tech experience, but i think with your help i can do it!
Local repair shop don't want mess with this work or they ask me crazy money for full recap!
There are a lot of caps on channels, i post some pics today. Do i need to change they all?
Thanks a lot

IMG_1124.jpg

Question is: why do you wanna recap? Does the console sound "bad"?
In my experience, a change of electrolytics (if they're healthy) won't do much. Differences between most modern electrolytic caps, possibly with the exception of larger filters, are extremely subtle.

Perhaps you're just looking for a learning opportunity?

Thanks a lot for your reply and interesting.. Well.. I don't know if it sounds properly, it's second hand.. It was made in 1993.. I know electrolytics caps have a short life, 20 years for audio applications. I wonder expensive caps like wima, old jensen, panasonic fm, etc sounds little better than cheap stock caps... Maybe can those tl072cp can be swapped with something cooler too?  And yes for sure it's an awesome opportunity to learn!! I want to become the new Rupert Neve ahaha..

Totally agree with "Conviction"!

If you really would like to recap the entire mixer, why not just try recapping one mono channel strip.  Then compare and listen carefully to the differences to an original. 

IMHO, this may be a wiser approach.

I would check the electrolytic caps with an ESR meter, to see what they're like.  If they are dried with a high internal resistance then pretty much any brand you put in will sound better than what you have at the moment.  Normally the bass is light when the caps get old.  If you run a square wave through it with no eq & look at it on an oscilloscope you can get an idea whta they're like if the square wave isn't square ....

Personally if you're going to experiment I would do the caps in the centre section caps that audio is running through before doing a channel strip.  The reason being that if your caps are dried then it doesn't really matter what you do to the channel strip it will still be veiled by the centre section & therefore you won't notice much difference.   

From your first post I'm wondering what you think is crazy money for doing this.  It is quite time consuming, & people who do this professionally are trying to make a living.  It's also quite easy to damage the circuit boards if ones soldering isn't up to scratch.

HI Rob
Repairs shop asked 1.500 euro for total recap of this tac b2 10/4/2.
ok i start with tests with ESR meter.
I pulled out the master section! There are a lot of TL072cp not soldered on pcb but on a little black base.. can i put something like OPA2134 without any problem? Does better op amps like this  eat more psu power?
Thanks a lot

feller909 said:
HI Rob
That may sound expensive to you, but it will be several hundred Euros in caps, & to do properly will take a few days.  I understand if you don't have the money, but ifyou put it into perspective that's not actually unreasonbable for what is involved.

I pulled out the master section! There are a lot of TL072cp not soldered on pcb but on a little black base.. can i put something like OPA2134 without any problem? Does better op amps like this  eat more psu power?

There are plenty of threads here on chip changes ( I never use the word upgrade because that is very subjective).  You may be able to plug a different op amp in, but as you suggest there may be a bigger current draw on the PSU. There are also other things to conosdier.  It's not plug 'n' play.  I suggest you search around here and get more information. 

Rob Flinn said:
feller909 said:
HI Rob
That may sound expensive to you, but it will be several hundred Euros in caps, & to do properly will take a few days.  I understand if you don't have the money, but ifyou put it into perspective that's not actually unreasonbable for what is involved.
Exactly.

Also, it's quite likely you'll need to invest in a desoldering station (and a soldering if you don't already have).  Add that to the cost for the caps + you time and your luck of experience and there you go… :)

However, it also depends on what caps he's planning to use.

Latest posts

Back