[SOLVED] Eventide H3000 Harmonizer won't boot due to poor case continuity?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ego Tripper

Hey guys, I'm hoping that somebody around here has run into this one previously. I'm about to head over to my studio in an attempt to fix our Eventide H3000, which won't get past the boot screen where it displays the model number. This symptom had occurred right after the unit arrived last year, but I read that it is commonly caused by flaky power connections on the input side,  so I tightened the blade connectors and it was fine for quite a while. Then, my partner was working on a mix a month or so ago and he experienced the same symptom. I happened to be stopping by the studio that night, so I popped the unit open and checked the power connections. It seemed fine after that, but apparently it started acting up again later that night. Eventually, it became clear to me that the unit's operation was dependent upon the placement of the Avalon U5 that normally sits atop the H3000. I opened it up to see if there was some obvious point of flex that wasn't making contact, but there was nothing too obvious. The Avalon was powered off, so it's not an interference issue, just one related to the weight of the DI box. To clarify, it seemed to work better with the U5 on top of the Harmonizer, specifically to the left of center, but now I can't seem to get the H3000 to boot with the U5 in any position.

Given that this is an intermittent issue related to the closed lid of the case, this is going to be a tough one to track down, so I was hoping that someone around here had encountered this issue in the past. If you've seen an H3000 doing this before, then how did you fix it?

[EDIT- UPDATE]
It turns out that it was one of the power connections after all- the Molex connector this time.

And for anyone else experiencing this symptom who doesn't have it clear up after checking *all* their power connections, I ran across a GS thread which revealed that the battery backed RAM, Dallas Semiconductor DS1225Y,  can go bad and cause this symptom. The poster recommended Maxim's DS1225AB or DS1225AD as replacements. There is also the preset reset, which I didn't have to do, fortunately. I believe it involves holding down the Function button while powering up the unit, but check the service manual for the detailed procedure.

Latest posts

Back