Denver Broncos

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

Ever since I started watching American football in the 1990s I have been a fan of the Denver Broncos. I recorded Sunday night's Super Bowl and studiously avoided listening to the news so I would not know the score in advance. Watched the game last night so I am a very happy bunny to see my team won! What a way for Manning to end his career throwing the last touch down.

Cheers

Ian

It was a great game being from Denver.  The Broncos Defense are superb but some how the game is looking more like Rugby these days with stealing the football or at least knocking it out of the other guys hands.  I think the Broncos learned that from the Seahawks 2 years ago.    We had the parade today and the City could not be more happy.

ruffrecords said:
Ever since I started watching American football in the 1990s I have been a fan of the Denver Broncos. I recorded Sunday night's Super Bowl and studiously avoided listening to the news so I would not know the score in advance. Watched the game last night so I am a very happy bunny to see my team won! What a way for Manning to end his career throwing the last touch down.

Cheers

Ian

Interesting... Why the Broncos? I've always been curious as to why people choose to follow certain teams, especially with no geographical skin in the game.

Krcwell said:
Interesting... Why the Broncos? I've always been curious as to why people choose to follow certain teams, especially with no geographical skin in the game.

Decades ago when I lived in Okla. City, the Cowboys were a local fave...probably 'cuz we had no local team, and Dallas was semi-close.

Nowadays, I'm located in between KC and Denver...BUT one of my best friends is a transplant from Denver...so it's all Dave's faults...LOL.

Bri

PS...OKC did finally get a local team....so I also root for the Thunder basketball....

Krcwell said:

When I first started watching on UK TV I did not even know the rules. I had played rugby at school and this seemed an interesting variant. I had no favourites at the start but after a year or so I think I was impressed by Denver's willingness to take risks and Elway in particular. I used to love his hail Mary's.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Krcwell said:

When I first started watching on UK TV I did not even know the rules. I had played rugby at school and this seemed an interesting variant. I had no favourites at the start but after a year or so I think I was impressed by Denver's willingness to take risks and Elway in particular. I used to love his hail Mary's.

Cheers

Ian
I think I saw at least one scrum on the field during the super bowl game.  ;D

JR

Check out this Radiolab story on the development of American Football: http://www.radiolab.org/story/football/
Cool story!

I'm not really a football fan but was there for work and saw it live. I heard some of my friends say that the game itself wasn't that exciting (save for one's desire for one team to win) and that it was mostly one of defense. Do you concur or did you feel it was an exciting game?

Neither Peyton or Cam had very good games.  It certainly was a defensive game.  Von Miller, Demarcus Ware and the entire Broncos LB and secondary played amazing.  They were the number one rated pass defense all season for a reason!

Denver's defence definitely won the day. There were no incredible passes, catches or runs. One dubious call following a challenge that might have tipped the game the other way but otherwise only exciting if your team won.

Cheers

Ian

The Denver defense was dominant, pretty much anyone could have played QB and they still win.

Manning is one of the best QB of all time and gets to go out on top, although interestingly with one of the worst QB performances.

Elway was  great to watch but even he took a step back in 1998 and 99 to a more balanced team which included a payout to get better players.  When we got Terrel Davis and the Running game together, everything changed and finally won 2 superbowls after some real humiliating ones.    Von Miller and the defense are just stellar and such a team effort.  The secret to success is everyone working for the common goal.    It was great to see Cam in his fancy pants get off the airplane so full of himself and then after the game he got up and walked off from an interview.  Peyton went through some things he hasn't had to face before but he's peyton and he handled it with grace and appreciation for his team.    Lots of lessons in life in football.  Cam will be back and will play better than ever after a lesson like this. 

ruffrecords said:
And the big question is will Peyton retire?

Cheers

Ian

Most likely.  Even if he wanted to play another year the Broncos probably can't afford him.  I think he ended his career about as best as you could hope for.  I think all the monkeys are officially off his back . . . at least performance wise.  There is still the steroids issue hovering unfortunately . . .   

Manning doesn't really have anything left, performance wise he should retire as he is not even the best QB on the team at this point

But it might be awfully tempting to give it another year and try and ride that defense to another championship. Then he could go out back to back ala Elway. That would be an even better ending to his career than it is now.

We get close to zero press coverage about American football in the UK. What is the US press saying about Peyton retiring?

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back