Can You Help Me Identify This Tube?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaminjamesp

Hello everyone, first post here.

I'm purchasing a microphone (Peluso 22 47) and the guy I'm buying it from has put an RCA tube in it, and has the old tube. The Peluso website says the 22 47 has a CE-6072a tube in it (is that a typo on the website, I'm guessing it is GE, I can't return any results for CE). But when I google that I can't find any image that matches the picture of the tube he sent me. Just curious if anyone could help me identify this tube? http://postimg.org/image/hqo9rsewj/

(not sure how to post images, trying to figure it out!)

Thanks so much!!

jaminjamesp said:
Hello everyone, first post here.

I'm purchasing a microphone (Peluso 22 47) and the guy I'm buying it from has put an RCA tube in it, and has the old tube. The Peluso website says the 22 47 has a CE-6072a tube in it (is that a typo on the website, I'm guessing it is GE, I can't return any results for CE). But when I google that I can't find any image that matches the picture of the tube he sent me. Just curious if anyone could help me identify this tube? http://postimg.org/image/hqo9rsewj/

(not sure how to post images, trying to figure it out!)

Thanks so much!!
Based on the spacers and plates, that's a modern production tube.  As far as type or brand, I can't tell but it's not going to be anything particularly interesting.  It's certainly not a GE 6072.  I have talked to a lot of 22 47 owners and none reported a GE 6072 in theirs so the 'CE' is likely Peluso's name they've given  their selected Russian or Chinese tubes.  Unfortunately, many companies today are playing off the names of the old tube companies.

Bowie said:
Based on the spacers and plates, that's a modern production tube.  As far as type or brand, I can't tell but it's not going to be anything particularly interesting.  It's certainly not a GE 6072.  I have talked to a lot of 22 47 owners and none reported a GE 6072 in theirs so the 'CE' is likely Peluso's name they've given  their selected Russian or Chinese tubes.  Unfortunately, many companies today are playing off the names of the old tube companies.

You hit the nail on the head. The owner of the mic was able to identify it as a  Valve CE Dual Triode 12AY7/6072A Electro-Harmonics. So yeah, a 20 dollar Russian tube.

One more question Bowie, because I read before I even came over here from gearslutz that you have quite a bit of knowledge on these matters, will putting in a GE 6072 make a big difference in these mics? I don't know a lot about tubes, or really even about the internals of the Short Body 22 47. The 22 47 is reported to be darker, with a lower noise floor that the 22 47 LE and SE, with a tad less detail and presence.  Would sticking in a better tube make a big difference in this mic (if you're familiar at all with its internals).

Thanks again for your help, really appreciated!

jaminjamesp said:
Bowie said:

You hit the nail on the head. The owner of the mic was able to identify it as a  Valve CE Dual Triode 12AY7/6072A Electro-Harmonics. So yeah, a 20 dollar Russian tube.

One more question Bowie, because I read before I even came over here from gearslutz that you have quite a bit of knowledge on these matters, will putting in a GE 6072 make a big difference in these mics? I don't know a lot about tubes, or really even about the internals of the Short Body 22 47. The 22 47 is reported to be darker, with a lower noise floor that the 22 47 LE and SE, with a tad less detail and presence.  Would sticking in a better tube make a big difference in this mic (if you're familiar at all with its internals).

Thanks again for your help, really appreciated!
  Yes, the GE can .  There were various production periods that all sound different, some better than others.  They all sound nicer than an EH but the real problem one faces is that they aren't all ideal for a mic (noise levels can vary greatly from tube to tube).  I've heard from a number of people about the differences GE 6072s made in that mic but they were all customers and I don't want to do any self-promotion on the forum.  You can contact me through message/email if that's something you're interested in.

Latest posts

Back