OMSD48PSU - Phantom Power (Olaf M. / silent:arts)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tata

have any of you built the OMSD48PSU?

i would like to learn about phantom power supplies in general, differences between them, what makes a GOOD +48PSU, why not preferring SMPS, whatnot..

id need a little help to finish this build:

* i see 2x R10 labels on the PCB, am i right the upper one is R11 (18k)? ( http://screencast.com/t/f4qgLTBTC17s )
* i see "2x24VAC / 32VA / EI38" label on the transformer's place, but.. 32VA? i guess its 3,2VA, based on the Conrad no. 710680?
* BC560 - C or D? does it matter here?
* UF4007 instead of 1N4004 in the diode bridge - is this any good / bad?
* maybe im wrong, but it seems to me something is different around VR1 / R24 on the schematics and the actual PCB - should i worry about it? can i have a corrected schemo, please?
* insulation is needed between the IRF610 and the heatsink, right? if the IRF directly touches the heatsink, Drain(Case) goes to GND (on Top PCB layer) , wich gives 0 output.
*do i need a 2x24V EI trafo for this, or a 48V toroid would do the same - and whats good / bad in using a toroid that has +48V secondary as well? (to save space)

thank you

Schematic with correct component placement / silk screen

* i see 2x R10 labels on the PCB, am i right the upper one is R11 (18k)?
- like in the pdf the upper resistor is R11
* i see "2x24VAC / 32VA / EI38" label on the transformer's place, but.. 32VA? i guess its 3,2VA, based on the Conrad no. 710680?
- 3,2VA is correct
* BC560 - C or D? does it matter here?
- C will work fine
* UF4007 instead of 1N4004 in the diode bridge - is this any good / bad?
- doesn't matter
* maybe im wrong, but it seems to me something is different around VR1 / R24 on the schematics and the actual PCB - should i worry about it? can i have a corrected schemo, please?
- I don't have any other documents for this, but you are right, looks like R24 and R12 are connected together next to VR1 (see attached pic)
* insulation is needed between the IRF610 and the heatsink, right? if the IRF directly touches the heatsink, Drain(Case) goes to GND (on Top PCB layer) , wich gives 0 output.
- ALWAYS mount heatsinks insulated.
*do i need a 2x24V EI trafo for this, or a 48V toroid would do the same - and whats good / bad in using a toroid that has +48V secondary as well? (to save space)
- the circuit wants 48V AC, it doesn't care from where it comes.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2016-02-11 um 13.53.58.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2016-02-11 um 13.53.58.png
    48.7 KB · Views: 27
thanks Volker!

can you please tell a little bit more about how this circuit works? what are the advantages over the other ones?
how this performs for eg. compared to the 51x/TL783 based PSU?

Latest posts

Back