dual coil latching relays - both coils energized at once?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfuruta

Hello,

Looked around for half an hour on google and couldn't find an answer, so I thought maybe one of the brains here would know:  when using a dual coil latching relay, do I need to ensure that both coils aren't energized at the same time?  Working on a simple control for a motor, and I'm trying to figure out if I can do it with just a relay and switches, or if I need to get a little smarter.

Doesn't matter to me that the state be predictable in this situation, just that no damage to the relay will occur.

Sorry if this is a foolish question!  Thanks for any knowledge.

Usually a mag latch relay will stay in the same state if both coils are energized at exactly the same time.
However you should have some form of interlock to prevent unpredictable things from happening anyway, including this.

Long-term, the heat will be excessive.

But the whole point of a Latching Relay is it only needs SHORT Pulses. You perhaps should not be leaving power on it much longer than needed to flip. If you really want to lean on the power, a non-latching relay may be a better plan.

Thanks!  I am thinking I'll drive the relay with one shots, so I think it'll be ok.  The machine won't be in danger of crashing regardless of the relay's state, and there's nothing it can do that'll pose physical danger to anyone...it's not a situation that should come up, anyway, unless someone is pushing limit switches at opposite sides of the motor's travel.

Back