Mastering monitor console

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveKnobz

Hey guys,

This is my first post here and I'm new to the DIY thingy.  8) About to buy my first kit in a couple of days.

Anyhow! I know this is going to be my obsession for a couple of years a head (read eternity) and I've already started to think of a unit that I would like to build but couldn't find. I don't know if it isn't out there because it's impossible to make or if someone just haven't made one yet.
The thing is that I have no background in electronics at all. When I look at a schematic it looks like noodles on a piece of paper to me, haha. All I know is what I want to unit to have and how I want it to look. This means that I have no idea how to make this unit I want to build a reality and that's why I'm reaching out here. I'm hoping that I will find someone who can help me create this thing and hopefully get a unit built. Maybe even more people would like to have this so we can get some kits together?

Ok, so the idea of the unit is based on the Maselec MTC-1X and is a simpler version of it.
It's divided into the following sections:

INPUT:
  • .5dB stepped gain separately for L & R ranging from -5dB to +5dB with the option (button +5dB) which will make the gain stage 1dB per step. Cut button.
  • Low cut: 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90Hz. In/Out button
  • Hi cut: 12k, 14k, 16, 18k, 20k, 22k, 24k, 27kHz. In/Out button.

INSERTS:
  • 6 insert points, where 1 & 2 and also 4 & 5 has the option to be flipped in order (buttons).

OUTPUT:
  • .5dB stepped gain separately for L & R ranging from -5dB to +5dB. Cut button.
  • Elliptical filter: OFF, 40, 60, 80, 100, 110, 120, 130, 140, 150, 160, 180, 200, 220, 240, 260, 280, 300, 320, 340, 360Hz.
  • Stereo with ranging from -100% to +100%.
  • "Image button" - In/out button for the elliptical filter and stereo width.

MONITOR:
  • Speaker select - 3 buttons to choose which monitors to listen to.
  • Source select - 2 buttons, DAW or AUX.
  • Big knob for the monitor level. Haven't decided yet if this should be stepped as everything else.
  • Buttons for listening options - stereo, mono, diff. Also buttons for cut and dim.

What do you guys think? Is it possible or am I just going to have to dream about building this unit my whole life?
I've also attached my front design of the unit. Very Maselec inspired!

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• SMMC.jpg
    SMMC.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 202
The MTC-1 will be much less expensive and better engineered than anything you could do with no experience.

Gold said:
The MTC-1 will be much less expensive and better engineered than anything you could do with no experience.

Oh, somebody's in a bad mood today.

I don't think you understood what I wrote. I'm not saying that I - SPECIFICALLY - are going to make it, especially not now in the beginning of my DIY journey when I have no knowledge of it. I'm saying that I, someday would like to be able to build this unit, that's why I turned to this forum - because people here do have experience. I'm hoping that people of this forum can cooperate and maybe make this unit a reality. But thank you for your reply with once again reminding me that I'm new in the DIY-world! ;) 

It's certainly doable and there are people here with the skills to make it happen. But it would more come down to finding people that are as passionate as you to work on it.  Making things modular would be better, so people can pick and choose what features they want.

Welcome!

With no experience of electronics this should be a good starting point:

http://jacquesricher.com/NEETS/

SteveKnobz said:
Oh, somebody's in a bad mood today.

I'm not in a bad mood. I'd start with something a little less complicated. You don't even know what questions to ask yet , let alone get useful answers. No one here is going to design something for you. You have to do your homework. Get a good idea of what you are doing and ask for some help with some details. Stuff like "is this value right in this circuit" not "how do I make a console".

I'd take one circuit block. Like gain for instance and see how far you get with that.

Here is a kit that is a stereo widener and could be an EE. http://www.proaudiodesignforum.com/forum/php/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=731

john12ax7 said:
It's certainly doable and there are people here with the skills to make it happen. But it would more come down to finding people that are as passionate as you to work on it.  Making things modular would be better, so people can pick and choose what features they want.
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for. Someone to do it with whom I can learn from during the process, not someone to do it for me. 
Making it modular is actually a pretty good idea! :)

synthiaks said:
Welcome!

With no experience of electronics this should be a good starting point:

http://jacquesricher.com/NEETS/
Thanks, I'm really looking forward to this.  Thank you for that link. I've got some reading to do! Good thing is that I work night shift tonight.  ;)

Gold said:
I'm not in a bad mood. I'd start with something a little less complicated. You don't even know what questions to ask yet , let alone get useful answers. No one here is going to design something for you. You have to do your homework. Get a good idea of what you are doing and ask for some help with some details. Stuff like "is this value right in this circuit" not "how do I make a console".

I'd take one circuit block. Like gain for instance and see how far you get with that.

Here is a kit that is a stereo widener and could be an EE. http://www.proaudiodesignforum.com/forum/php/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=731
I see where you're coming from and I agree. I am starting with something less complicated, which I mentioned in the first post. However, that doesn't mean I can't plan for the future. This is something I really want to build but I'm not expecting it to be soon and I'm not expecting someone else to build it for me. What I simply asked was if there's someone on here who might be willing to help make this unit, someone that I can learn from and get a better understanding of how the process is of making a unit.

That's what I figured as well. I've been studying others filter builds and schematics and trying to understand how things work.

Thanks for the link. Will check it out!

Gold said:

Hi,
first of all you are a new to this forum and your way to start was to attack a fellow member that is around this forum since 2004 and already helped many people along the way.
Worse than that is that he was trying to help you, no bad mood at all.  It was True, still true and a good advise.
DIY is really expensive, more expensive than buying new gear.
You need the tools, a proper place, the components, the experience , the knowledge, patience , many free full days of electronic work to achieve a build. If you count the time you spend in doing a project and translate it into money, just that alone would be higher than buying an equivalent comercial product.

So what Gold said was not in any way negative, it was actually a positive advise for you, hope you understand that.

This is not Gearslutz,  personal and direct attacks are better left in other forums, you are asking for free help and advise, if a fellow members give it to you, just thank them.

As for project you want to achieve:

I think it's a good idea, I'm not sure but I remember someone building a similar unit around here but I dont remember, use the search function with "Mastering", Mastering console, etc etc similar words. maybe you can find it.

There was a forum member that build a mastering console with those functions and more for Bob Katz,
google K-1 Mastering Transfer Console.  His name is Igor Kapelevich.
Igor was quite active in this forum and had a lot of popular projects, unfortunately Igor is not around the forum anymore and last I know he was unreachable.

So if you want really to do this project the way to start is keep it simple and step by step.

1) See the advises above by other members, follow them

2)
SteveKnobz said:
The thing is that I have no background in electronics at all. When I look at a schematic it looks like noodles on a piece of paper to me, haha.

So you need to sort that out has soon as possible. You need to start  learning today how to read a schematic. Actually it's quite simple  there's not that many different components and main ones are Resistors, Capacitors, Transistors, so 85% to 90%  will be one of this components.
Do you play guitar? if so build a guitar pedal and learn how to read the schematic, guitar pedals are simple circuits and a good starting point.

Start by reading this:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/wiki/index.php?title=Frequently_Asked_Questions_(DIY_FAQ)

So if you don't learn how to read a schematic and electronics basics just give up from this project at this point.

3)after step one and two you should read and learn about Relays, different types, how they work  and why they're used. Relays will be really important for this type of project

For the monitor controller part of the console you should look into Igor's CRM monitor controller.
It was a project Igor offered around here, it was an high quality design you, just find the schematics and use that for your monitor section or you can also buy a kit in the black market if someone is selling  one, that way you already had one of the sections of your project done.
search for it

Whoops said:
Hi,
first of all your are new to this forum and your way to start was to attack a fellow member that is around this forum since 2004 and already helped many people along the way.
Worse than that is that he was trying to help you, no bad mood at all.  It was True, still true and a good advise.
DIY is really expensive, more expensive than buying new gear.
You need the tools, a proper place, the components, the experience , the knowledge, patience , many free full days of electronic work to achieve a build. If you count the time you spend in doing a project and translate it into money, just that alone would be higher than buying an equivalent comercial product.

So what Gold said was not in bad way negative it was actually a positive advise for you, hope you understand that.

This is not Gearslutz,  personal and direct attacks are better left in other forums, you are asking for free help and advise if fellow members give it to you, just thank them.

Hi Whoops,

I did not attack Gold, I simply didn't feel that his first reply was to any advice at all since it's pretty obvious that a MTC-1 is better engineered than what a beginner with no experience can do.  If you or anyone took it that way I'm sorry.  I know Gold has been a member for a long time as well as Igor and some other well known names on the forum. I've been lurking for a while before I made an account and made my first post. When help and advise is given I will, as seen in other replies, thank whom the advice came from.

I know it takes time and that it's expensive. I'm all in for it and I've already got the basic setup of equipment.

Whoops said:
As for project you want to achieve:

I think it's a good idea, I'm not sure but I remember someone building a similar unit around here but I dont remember, use the search function with "Mastering", Mastering console, etc etc similar words. maybe you can find it.

There was a forum member that build a mastering console with those functions and more for Bob Katz,
google K-1 Mastering Transfer Console.  His name is Igor Kapelevich.
Igor was quite active in this forum and had a lot of popular projects, unfortunately Igor is not around the forum anymore and last I know he was unreachable.

So if you want really to do this project the way to start is keep it simple and step by step.

1) See the advises above by other members, follow them

2)
SteveKnobz said:
The thing is that I have no background in electronics at all. When I look at a schematic it looks like noodles on a piece of paper to me, haha.

So you need to sort that out has soon as possible. You need to start  learning today how to read a schematic. Actually it's quite simple  there's not that many different components and main ones are Resistors, Capacitors, Transistors, so 85% to 90%  will be one of this components.
Do you play guitar? if so build a guitar pedal and learn how to read the schematic, guitar pedals are simple circuits and a good starting point.

Start by reading this:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/wiki/index.php?title=Frequently_Asked_Questions_(DIY_FAQ)

So if you don't learn how to read a schematic and electronics basics just give up from this project at this point.

3)after step one and two you should read and learn about Relays, different types, how they work  and why they're used. Relays will be really important for this type of project
I've been searching both on this forum and on other places as well for a mastering controller but without luck. All I could find are threads that starts to discuss it but then it drifts away to a "I like the DM Master and Liason or the Manley" type of thread. I did find a finnish guy who posted a picture of his own mastering console though.

When it comes to my knowledge of electronics and schematics I'm really working on that. I read a lot about it and learn something new every day, but unfortunately it takes time.  ;D

Thanks for the tip about the guitar pedal, I'm not a guitar guy though. But I might give one a go anyways. Always fun to run synths and other stuffs than guitars trough a pedal!  :D I've been looking at Sound Skulptor and Hairball Audio kits and I get the feeling that they are well documented and that some of the kits might be fairly beginner friendly.

Whoops said:
For the monitor controller part of the console you should look into Igor's CRM monitor controller.
It was a project Igor offered around here, it was an high quality design you, just find the schematics and use that for your monitor section or you can also buy a kit in the black market if someone is selling  one, that way you already had one of the sections of your project done.
search for it
Thanks for the tip! Will definitely look that up.

Gold said:
http://prorecordingworkshop.lefora.com/topic/19405751/Shaker-Desk#.Vr7O74Qvu9Y
Interesting! I'll read the thread. Thanks!

The problem with this type of box is exactly the same as in designing mixing consoles: Feature creep.

So only ever begin thinking about this if you have a full and exhaustive list of what you want (i.e. need).

Attached pic of something I did back in my younger days

Attachments

• Mastering-box_002.JPG
    Mastering-box_002.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 177
Inside

Yes, even ground carried by silver/teflon cabling  ::)

No, I didn't specify the functions. Or the wire type.

Jakob E.

Attachments

• Mastering-box_001.JPG
    Mastering-box_001.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 172
gyraf said:
The problem with this type of box is exactly the same as in designing mixing consoles: Feature creep.

So only ever begin thinking about this if you have a full and exhaustive list of what you want (i.e. need).

Attached pic of something I did back in my younger days
That's a nice looking box :) (Like all of your stuff!)

I'm 99% sure that the functions that I listed will be what I want and need for many years ahead.  I hope, and cross my fingers, that I will be able to build this unit within two years!

ppa said:
regarding the Elliptical filter, is it first order?

Both the Neumann EE66 and EE77 were first order. With Wayne's board linked to above you could make an EE with a multi pole filter.

Back