word clock to S/Pdif synchro

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjgaston

Hi,
I have 2 firewire audio interface, the Presonus Firepod (FP10) and the Echo audiofire 12. When I use both of them together in protools via "aggregate audio device" in mac os, after a few minutes of use they seem to go out of sync.
I want to sync them together but the presonus only has coaxial s/pdif and the audiofire only has BNC wordclock. Is there an easy way to use the wordclock output to send a clock to the S/Pdif or the opposite ?
(I would prefer to have the audiofire as the master)

Unless I'm mistaken, you should be able to connect the coaxial from the firepod to the BNC of the echo with adapters/the right cable.

Otherwise you can pickup an external word clock generator ranging in price. Here is your cheapest option http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SyncGen

Humner said:
Unless I'm mistaken, you should be able to connect the coaxial from the firepod to the BNC of the echo with adapters/the right cable.

Otherwise you can pickup an external word clock generator ranging in price. Here is your cheapest option http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SyncGen
Thanks for the answer, I tried that solution, I made a BNC to coaxial cable and send the wordclock out in the spdif coaxial In and the other way and none of it worked :-/

If there is no other way I'll consider buying the ART SyncGen

Humner said:

You are mistaken. Word clock and S/PDIF are not at all the same thing. Now, an S/PDIF receiver chip will output a word clock, called LRCLK, in addition to the rest of the I2S signals. This is how some devices can sync to AES black, black meaning no data. But this requires some hardware to work.

Looks like you can use the Firepod as master and clock the Echo from it using SPDIF

Multiple interfaces require careful planning!

Nick Froome