1176 Rev A - external sidechain using a DPDT Switch

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juleselipse

I'm currently building a Rev A with the mnats PCB:  http://mnats.net/files/1176REVA_125_VOLTAGES.pdf

The internal side chain voltage comes from R23 CCW lug - instead of soldering it straigt to the ratio PCB I solder it to pole 2 of a DPDT switch. On pole 1 I solder the hot wire from the external XLR input used as an external sidechain (see attachement)

Should I process the external side chain signal before sending it to the ratio PCB or can I just send it as is?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    674.3 KB · Views: 38
juleselipse said:
Should I process the external side chain signal before sending it to the ratio PCB or can I just send it as is?
It depends what you expect. If you just want to make a signal "pump" under control from another, processing is not always necessary, although it helps eliminating unwanted triggering. If you want to do selective compression, you need to process the signal.

Any advice on what I should run it through before it reached the ratio board? HPF, LPF? I have to say I am bit worried about damaging the 2N5457 in the circuit, even if the MC76 insert loop function comforts me a bit.

juleselipse said:
Any advice on what I should run it through before it reached the ratio board? HPF, LPF? I have to say I am bit worried about damaging the 2N5457 in the circuit, even if the MC76 insert loop function comforts me a bit.
Some kind of EQ that would allow frequency-shaping the signal. Even a simple Baxandall type is useful, or a cheap graphic.

juleselipse said:
thanks! does the filter has to wired to the power supply?
It can be a passive filter, but the choice of response is rather limited. However, passive high-pass is easy and works well enough in many cases to prevent low fequencies triggering too heavy compression.

Latest posts

Back