Closest modern input transformer to UTC LS10

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AusTex64

Building several tube mic preamps that require a 150:15k 1:10 step up transformer. Seems the gold standard is UTC LS-10, but it's too big, rare and expensive for what I'm building. It's 1U chassis. Jensen offers an option, Cinemag has a few, Lundahl has some too. Who else? Would try UTC A10 but by the time the mag shield is fitted it's just a little too big.

Your thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!

There's Sowter in the UK as well.  The part # 1960  has a split pri. for 50 ohm or 200 ohm sources (1:20 or 1:10) or the part 9610 is the same but has just a single 200 ohm winding for 1:10.
I've used the Cinemag CMMI-10C  myself and whatever is the Lundahl unit that is high step up.  I liked 'em both, the Lundahl being cleaner... 

Thanks John. Can't believe I forgot about Sowter, duh. Though everyone has their opinion about the sonics of different brands and types of transformers, I've been quite pleased with the Sowters in my Pultec builds. People often say they are cleaner sounding, which to me is good as I often find Pultecs a bit wooly for my taste.

I was hoping to find someone who has compared these transformers in the same circuit to each other or hopefully an LS10. If someone else doesn't pop up with that info, might end up doing it myself. The relentless pursuit of perfection, to cop a line from Lexus...

A few Carnhill I've heard have sounded more like UTC than anything else I've compared.  Not sure what's what in their overall line.  Probably also too big for 1RU. 

Thanks Doug. I must he subconsiously discriminating against British transformer manufacturers, forgot about Carnhill too.  :p

Latest posts

Back