Tube power amp question ?!?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zamproject

Hi all

Just a simple question as I don't have lot of knowledge regarding tube

I have a Fender studio bass amp and one 6L6 at output stage is white (lost vacuum)
it's a 180/200w amp with a sextet, 3// x2, 6L6 push/pull
I just have no money now to buy a new sextet of tube, so I just wondering if I can remove two tube, the dead one and one at other side.
No problem for me to have "only" 120w, but what about load for the output trafo ? or any other potential problem ?

shemo attached

Best
Zam

Attachments

• studiobass.pdf
    158.2 KB · Views: 9
Power tube heaters are connected in parallel so removing two power tubes might increase the heater voltage only slightly. If there's nothing else wrong with the amp just remove the two power tubes and play.

Heikki said:
Power tube heaters are connected in parallel so removing two power tubes might increase the heater voltage only slightly. If there's nothing else wrong with the amp just remove the two power tubes and play.

Ok.. will try then
I know lot of marshal 100W user doing this but not sure it's applicable to all amp.
I just have to open it to look at wiring to be sure I remove one at each side and not two at one and none at other ....
Best
Zam

CJ said:
there will a slight impedance change but nothing to worry about,

Hi CJ

Good to have another confirmation.
I will try this week (no time now).

So as extension to the question, leaving just two tube might work too (remove 4) ?  or will the impedance and heater voltage changes be too much then ?
Because now I feel interested to test the amp at 60w (180 is really big...), to see the amp sound pushed fat, without huge SPL.

Best
Zam

your plate voltage might go up too high with just 2 out of 6 tubes

do you have more than one  speaker jack?  maybe something labeled 4 ohms?

use that if you pull 4 tubes so you don't wear the tubes out,

JJ 6L6 are cheap so why worry about heater voltage?

watch out for the bigger pins, they wear out your sockets,

CJ said:
your plate voltage might go up too high with just 2 out of 6 tubes

do you have more than one  speaker jack?  maybe something labeled 4 ohms?

use that if you pull 4 tubes so you don't wear the tubes out,

JJ 6L6 are cheap so why worry about heater voltage?

watch out for the bigger pins, they wear out your sockets,

Thanks for advise
Unfortunately the output trafo has only one secondary wiring, 8ohm.

You mean there is different tube version with different pin diameter ?
actual tube is GT6L6S, loaded since 15years (at least), but the amp take the road once in 10 years.
I'm not a bass player, even if I record/play them some times, I manly use this great amp to reamp syth at the studio :)

Anyway, this discussion let me think that 4 tube look like good option, and not just to solve the momentary tube issue.
I really don't need 180W for my use  ::)

Best
Zam

some people have complianed about JJ tubes having slightly bigger pins for the same tube type,

Ampeg V4 is very loud so many times you will see them with half  the tubes running,

Back