Which DIY mic should I make my first?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

achase4u

I am looking at Dan's PCB kits over at vintagemicrophonepcbkit.com

There's so many flavors...  I realize something like the u87 or Fet47 would be an easier first build.  However I am sort of jonesing for one of the following - D12, D251 or D49.  I think I could put any of those to good use.  The D49 might be the best bet because I can throw the D7 capsule right in there for a historically correct match, yes?

Have you any experience with DIY audio before?

I would recommend this:

http://microphone-parts.com/collections/microphone-kits/products/t47-microphone-kit?variant=8663985731

It will have all the parts, and it sounds really good. Really really good. I've bought a number of projects/mods from these guys and the results are always really great, regardless of price point. Especially if this is your first mic build, I would say go with this. I think it will have the most versatility with vocals and acoustic instruments. Plus, it is easy to get lost in the sea of options if you are sources parts from different places when you are doing your first mic project, which may cause frustration and prevent you from actually finishing it.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks!

Paul

To be honest, in my opinion (except PSU) tube microphones are easier.
You mentioned somewhere that you worked on guitar amps, right?
Did you build any guitar amp from beginning?
Did you used turret? 
If so?
What for you need microphone kit? Do you really need pcb for these few components?
Or maybe it looks better?
I love those yellow and blue boards! Looks impressive, like a chinese toy :)
Take piece of textolit or any other board material, drill few holes, mount connectors and make the circuit whatever you want.
I think that you will have more satisfaction.

Here's what i should finish in next week, so i will update topic and add pictures:
http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=62262.0
It's truly easy - you can use d7, m7, k47, chinese k47, hatever you want :)

Here's my design, really simple and really good sounding:
http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=62423.0
Tommorow i will put more pics.
Easy tu build, you can use different bodies, because the circuit is really small.
Make first your P67 ;)

My first build ever was the FET47 from Dany, though I think now the 847 project from him is maybe an easier first one, and its cheap and should sound nice. I also built his EF47 project this year, and I'm a total moron so if I can do it, you can do it. 

afdobbert said:
My first build ever was the FET47 from Dany, though I think now the 847 project from him is maybe an easier first one, and its cheap and should sound nice. I also built his EF47 project this year, and I'm a total moron so if I can do it, you can do it.

I am a total moron, too - so we are in luck!  I will try these!  I've started my d49.  Capsule just arrived.  I just need a body.  I've almost got it totally done...

My vote is poctops AKA Dany's D251 or Chunger/Matadors C12. Very straight ahead build with lots of info and support. IOaudio MK47 is also a good starter!

achase4u said:
afdobbert said:

I am a total moron, too - so we are in luck!  I will try these!  I've started my d49.  Capsule just arrived.  I just need a body.  I've almost got it totally done...

I will repeat myself again :D
You already have a perfect kit, full kit, with the body - make your p67 first :p
;)

Back