T.Bone SCT800 modifications - C12 and other type circuits.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"C12" cardioid only version.
Rest later.

Attachments

• SCT800 to C12 Cardioid.jpg
    SCT800 to C12 Cardioid.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 237
Why remove nearly all the power filtering components? Apart from *ahem* "historical accuracy", i mean...

Khron said:
Why remove nearly all the power filtering components? Apart from *ahem* "historical accuracy", i mean...

Yes this exact reason - want c12 circuit - make c12 circuit.
We talking here about circuit - it doesn't mean that it will be sounding exactly like C12, due to capsule and all the small changes in parts type or even transformer.
Additional filtering also change the sound - for example plate filtering capacitor affect low end response etc.
All these additional inconveniences creates sound signature for every microphone.
Ultra filtered, with metal resistors aand modern parts microphones - from the circuit side sounds mostly the same and whatever boutique part you will not use there always will be "chinese" sound signature.
Let the shit turn into the magic :D

Here's a mod which i "designed" to my friend Maliq.
For this one, PSU mod is really simple - three 30k resistor need to be change for 47k (2W and up) and both Zener diodes 4764a  change to the  two 62V zener diodes (at least 1.3W).

For C12 mod i need to think about the PSU, becuase it's not so easy like example above, but not today.
It's not se hard either but need to be simple and efective  ;)

Attachments

• SCT800 - Maliq mod.jpg
    SCT800 - Maliq mod.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 211
ouuuu yeeess!!! thank for the info machine!!!
I have wanted and to modify and output transformer where I can buy ?

If you talking about c12,  psu description isn't for it.
Original Haufe T14/1 you can always buy from Haufe and also Banzai (member here)  had them in really good price.
It's originaal transformer from C12 and am not recomending AMI T14.
First mod microphone aand use to it originaal transformer - see do you like it, then maake investment in transformer.

AAAAA okk then it is not mandatory also change the transformer !! and capsule which recommends more cek - cek 12 or 47?

It depend on which mod you want to make.
I'm confused on which you talking about.
There are two different circuits

C12 mod

Maliq mod

If C12 mod - CK12 capsule + haufe t14/1 (but first make a tests with old transformer and check do you like the sound, if so then buy t14/1)! I will make psu mod for this later.

If Maliq mod - k47 capsule, transformer can be original t.bone or something better with 10:1 or 11:1 ratio. PSU mod in description.

Ok then :)

For the capsule - best option available is Tim CT12 - but it's not cheap.
For the cheap capsule i recomend to buy RODE NT1a (or current NT1) edge terminated capsule.
It has much more to do with CK12 capsule than all the chinese versions!
http://cdn.recordinghacks.com/images//mic_extras/rode/NT1A_pcb.jpg
You can contact rode local service and tell that your is broken, microphone after warranty and you want to change it yourself :)
It is cheap - really, and the quality is pretty high.

Don't buy micandmod shit!

For the cheap capsule i recomend to buy RODE NT1a (or current NT1) edge terminated capsule.

That capsule actually is Chinese or at least it used to be.
But it's not from the usual suspects.

There's an interesting story there that's also currently relevant.
But I don't want to hijack, so I'll save that for some other place.

micaddict said:

Why not?
Give us the news :)

From what i know the truly (clearly stated) chinese Rode capsule was k67 style center terminated made in china by 797 audio (NT1/NT2 and few others).
It was a long time ago.
Edge terminated was introduced in NT1a, when they clearly stated that production of the capsules is made in Australia.
This capsule is also used in many, more expensive models.
It doesn't matter is it chinese or not - most importatn is that the capsule is really good.

ln76d said:
micaddict said:

Why not?
Give us the news :)

From what i know the truly (clearly stated) chinese Rode capsule was k67 style center terminated made in china by 797 audio (NT1/NT2 and few others).
It was a long time ago.
Edge terminated was introduced in NT1a, when they clearly stated that production of the capsules is made in Australia.
This capsule is also used in many, more expensive models.
It doesn't matter is it chinese or not - most importatn is that the capsule is really good.

OK, since you are the OP, I feel I have permission to hijack.  :)

797 Audio indeed. Not WGT, Tongxin, Feilo.
They made/make a  very nice K67 for the money and I'm not ruling out the possibility they also made the edge terminated ones, earlier on. Kidvybes would know, but he's no longer with us.

Anyway, 797 Audio has some history and AFAIK technicians there were at one point trained by German engineers. This was decades ago and I think it was before the iron curtain fell, so these could have been Gefell engineers for instance. This is all from the back of my head, mind. More accurate info will no doubt be available somewhere.

One of the leading Chinese techs from 797 Audio Beijing retired from the company and moved to ... Australia. He is now an Anglo-Saxon, so to speak. He is specialized in making capsules and has his own shop (as well as his old connections with his motherland). He makes capsules for high end mics, too.

Last year, he also started his own microphone line. Microphones can be ordered directly from him. They have good capsules and fine electronics and they cost very little money. You could even debate it ain't worth the trouble to build your own anymore LOL. Well, that's stretching it a bit. Plus there's the fun factor of home brewing too, of course.

technicians there were at one point trained by German engineers.

That story is so old, i read about this on several forum long time ago.
No one ever proved that  and this can be another myth, kind of "urban" legend, like the other crap which you can find all over the web :D
Gearsluters love these stories ;)

So it doesn't prove anything - for made by chinese - i'm in! These are great people and if well educated in specific brand they can make and design really great stuff. Difference is with made in China products -  mass produced stuff have many of defects due to cheap production.
Rode transducers are really great but they make it sh*tty sounding due to electronic circuit designs...

You could even debate it ain't worth the trouble to build your own anymore LOL
If you are typical consumptionist - yes.
I love to create things so for me it isn't any revelation ;)

Do you have any link for these custom mikes?
Am curious as hell.

Back