Internal Cloudlifter-Type Preamp Mystery

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau Zeau

Hello there.
A while ago, I was looking for a Cloudlifter type of mic pre-preamp to install into a mic where the transformer had been removed.  This came up, and I think it came from here, although I can't find it now.

Lifted%20From.jpg

I have to admit, that 0.001 ohm resistor puzzles me.  Can that possibly be correct?

Oh, and if anyone has a small pre-preamp that they think would be better for this application, I'm all eyes.

Thank you kindly.

> that 0.001 ohm resistor

Placeholder for simulation. For max gain, just use a jumper. For lower gain, try 100 Ohms.

I've also spent a long time trying to find the C'lifter circuit for internal use. Maybe there's a police force hunting down infringing postings and killing them? *Is* that the circuit we're looking for?

The chip used in the cloudlifter is a dual FET. The chips cost like $35 each unless you're buying a ton and there are two of them in the design. It's basically cheaper to just buy a cloudlifter. If you want to build something similar there are discrete impedance conversion designs all over the place. Or just build or buy a good pre, which is what the cloudlifter is a sub for anyway ....

Beau Zeau said:
A while ago, I was looking for a Cloudlifter type of mic pre-preamp to install into a mic where the transformer had been removed.  This came up, and I think it came from here, although I can't find it now.

Lifted%20From.jpg

Oh, and if anyone has a small pre-preamp that they think would be better for this application, I'm all eyes.
You need to tell us what the resistance of the mike is without its transformer.

If it is circa 50R, I have a circuit that would improve its noise performance into 'normal' modern mike preamps.  A couple have been built and good results reported ...  but I'm not sure its for general consumption as it relies on device matching.

It's in my Yahoo MicBuilders Files under ActiveRibbon.  You have to join.

If your mike without transformer is the 'usual' 200-600R, it would be better to modify a modern preamp to give more gain and less noise.  I describe one such device based on M-Audio DMP3 ($50-100 on eBay) in the same Yahoo MicBuilders Files directory.

Back