Would a stereo bar like this be a salable item?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumbascii

This idea is a high-end stereo bar and I'm trying to judge if it's worth prototyping and producing. It will have these novel / special characteristics:
- Under USD $300
- Trust it with your largest, heaviest mics. They cannot fall off.
- No reflective flat surfaces facing transducers (K&M, many other flat bars)
- No friction clutches - all positive locking parts - mics won't creep out of position
- All steel, no plastic parts  (Sabra and many others)
- Fit any stereo pattern, MS, XY, ORTF
- Use factory shock mounts if desired
- Use mis-matched mics if desired
- Mount on the top of a stand, vertically or in a T, at the end of a boom in any orientation.
- Inexpensive kit adds single-wire fly hardware

Do you need one now??  ;)

Thanks!
-frank

Ok, pictures. Images and metal microphone mounting devices pictured are the intellectual property of Frank Kennedy, Hancock, MA, all rights reserved.

Note that the mounting positions will not slip or sag, even if you hit it with a hammer. This configuration is mid-side on a straight stand as for recording a soloist, choir, orchestra . . .

stereo-bar-ms-1.jpg

stereo-bar-ms-2.jpg

stereo-bar-ms-3.jpg

More pictures.
Cross-coincident
stereo-bar-ms-4.jpg

An alternate mid-side arrangement. Should have added an extender to the mid mic.
stereo-bar-ms-5.jpg

Mid-side on a boom. More boom reach distance will require much more counterweight.
stereo-bar-ms-6.jpg

Near-coincident "T" attached atop stand
stereo-bar-ms-7.jpg

Hi,

your stereo bar is far more refined than my primitive solution with just a cheap K&M bar. But one thing you might add to yours is a tilting facility.
I´m using a ballhead by Sennheiser. It´s not cheap but it works great and holds even very heavy beasts like a Brauner rocksteady.

_MG_6978_MS-Stereosetup_kl.jpg

When a heavy counterweight is needed for longer boom extensions I came up with a simple solution to keep the  balance point of the setup low. It must not fall on a precious instrument.

Mozarthaus_Stereobar_Wasserzeichen.jpg

Mmm - that's nice!  I'm trying to find a source for this swivel: https://on-stage.com/products/view/6114/117191 which is actually very good in spite of the brand. The swivel is two cup shaped 12ga steel stampings that interlock in a definitive way, welded to 5/8-27 stubs of various lengths, powder coated. Very simple but very hard to fabricate! I suppose one could water-jet that zig-zag tooth action from a steel pipe - seems excessive.

BTW I have a couple of 10 pound cast iron hand weights I use for the same counterweight purpose.  :D

Latest posts

Back