Replacement Capsule for Cascade Elroy

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bandogmusic

I have a Cascade Elroy mic that would like to mod. I was looking at some capsules from microphone-parts but the Elroy has a 32mm capsule.

There seems to be enough room for a slightly larger (34mm) capsule but I don't know if it would squeeze into the internal rubber suspension ring.

Has anyone done this or know where to get a larger suspension ring?

Thanks.

Put the pics of existing capsule and mount then would be easier to find some good solution.
If this is rubber ring, there shouldn't be problem to mount larger capsule - i did that to the mounts from mid size electret capsules.
Probably original is alctron 32mm - these are pretty great capsules and can handle high polarisation voltages with really good sonic result. I wouldn't change it for larger k67!!! You can think about k47 and i would not suggest to buy overpriced chinese capsule from mparts. Same you can buy from china a lot cheaper. If you want to invest in capsule, throw few bucks more and buy Poctop D7 or Thiersh M7. You will really like the result. With budget k47 there's possibility that the lollipop headbasket will bump 3kHz area which is also bumped in the capsule response. Then microphone have too much "presence".
What's wrong with original capsule?

Photo of the Front of the capsule:

More Photos:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k8zvzlk94oy660i/AADcYO9L-bfQmY7voJhA57NYa?dl=0 (link to more photos)

Attachments

• 2016-06-16 19.28.22.jpg
    2016-06-16 19.28.22.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
Photo of the Back of the capsule:

More Photos:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k8zvzlk94oy660i/AADcYO9L-bfQmY7voJhA57NYa?dl=0 (link to more photos)

Attachments

• 2016-06-16 19.26.56.jpg
    2016-06-16 19.26.56.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
Hey man,

An m7 in that head basket may be a bit of challenge but a k47 variant would've a bit easier due to the way they mount.. The capsule you have in there now is a standard  Chinese 67 ish capsule, you see them all over the place... As mentioned before a 67 wouldn't sound the best I would personally recommend a 47.. I build one that's my take on the 47.. Flea also makes a good 47 not sure if they still sell them... There May be others but I personally am not a big fan of the Chinese 47 capsules I have heard.. Microphone parts or any others...

With the rubber ring M7 is not so hard to adapt, but of course it would be easier make connection for different capsule.
Eric - did you measured frequency response of your k47? Do you have any plots?
Am courius what's response for 2kHz-8kHz range.
If take CAD graphs - there's a 3-4dB bump in 4-6kHz range. This is probably related to the headbasket design.
If we put there chinese k47 the bump will be much higher - and it can be annoying a little bit.
For the chinese k47 - these are pretty good capsules - but to get proper sound you need to know what you are doing.
It's not the capsule which sound everywhere good, but in some applications it can sound hilarious.
Few factors:
- headbasket flat repsonse in upper midrange range
- proper polarisation voltage (dependent also on the rest of the circuit)
- input connection arrangement (with some sounds better, with some weak as hell)
- properly working capsule (quality control can be surprising)

Bandogmusic - thanks for pics!
You can have a problem to fit larger capsule due to metal ring - there's not much space between rubber and metal.
If original capsule works i would stay with it for now, make first circuit mod and then if you will be unhappy with the result - change the capsule.

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=49859.0;attach=20306;image
That's a frequency plot that was done against a vintage u47. My 47 capsule was actually in a g7 mic...

Eric

Guessing it wasn't measured in anechoic chamber. Look odd, especially below 1kHz.
If we assume that the acoustic condition didn't affected too much that comparison it looks good.
If it's truly similar to proper working u47, in the Cascade headbasket high midrange can be bumped too much.
Good option for test  ;)

Thanks for the feedback…

I will be looking at other mods first and I have another thread going for that right now.

Are there any good 32mm k47 style capsules… If the Chinese caps are all subpar where would you look without spending an arm and a leg?

ln76d said:
With budget k47 there's possibility that the lollipop headbasket will bump 3kHz area which is also bumped in the capsule response. Then microphone have too much "presence".
What's wrong with original capsule?

The mic as a whole sounds a little weak. harsh in the upper mids and highs, and week bass response. It is also pretty noisy but I'm sure that has more to do with the electronics.

tskguy said:
Hey man,

An m7 in that head basket may be a bit of challenge but a k47 variant would've a bit easier due to the way they mount.. The capsule you have in there now is a standard  Chinese 67 ish capsule, you see them all over the place... As mentioned before a 67 wouldn't sound the best I would personally recommend a 47.. I build one that's my take on the 47.. Flea also makes a good 47 not sure if they still sell them... There May be others but I personally am not a big fan of the Chinese 47 capsules I have heard.. Microphone parts or any others...

What makes the m7 harder to mount? Sorry if that is a noob question… this is my first shot at a mic mod. Also did you say that you make a 47 style capsule? If so, can you send me a link about it?

The thread on the D7 from http://www.vintagemicrophonepcbkit.com seems to get good reviews. Would this be a better option than the RK47's from china?

So the m7 doesn't have screws that mint the capsule.. The mount itself has screw that hold the capsule in by pressure.. The other capsules have threaded holes in the sides that you screw in to... Like the way your capsule mounts.. Yes I sell a hand made k47 style capsule ... Check out www.heisermanaudio.com

Eric your capsules looks really great but you could change the screws for something more subtle ;)
Especially in HK12.
I send all the details about m7 mounting to Bandogmusic on PM.
Yes it wouldn't be so easy to make proper connection but still is possible.

The screws I use are actually a much better  solution than brass and are American sized threads for an American made product. Also using Phillips head screws are much better for assembly.. So I went with a design that sounds as good as the real ones and also from an engineer perspective makes way more sense !  ;D
And to stay on topic the m7 can work yes.. So it's really if you want to figure out a way to mod the mount to secure the capsule or use existing holes on a bit larger capsule..me personally would prefer mounting a capsule with screws... But it's your choice listen to the guy who has skinned over 30 real m7's and hand build over 200 capsules or the other "expert" 😜😜

If the pattern your referring to is giving real advice based on professional experience? Then yes!
But if your confusing it with a sales pitch I call bullshit... Take a look at my posts for the last 5 plus years?
The honest truth is simply don't need to advertise but when I see some advise that I think deserves a differing opinion I will give it!! It's a forum for f sake... I do this as a hobby it's for fun... I don't need the money.

tskguy said:
The screws I use are actually a much better  solution than brass and are American sized threads for an American made product.

Which most is copying austrian/german products :D

Also using Phillips head screws are much better for assembly.. So I went with a design that sounds as good as the real ones and also from an engineer perspective makes way more sense !  ;D

I believe that philips screws are much easier for assembly - but maybe something with smaller head?
From a "user" perspective i can only say that many people buying things also by it look.
It's your bussines of course ;)

And to stay on topic the m7 can work yes.. So it's really if you want to figure out a way to mod the mount to secure the capsule or use existing holes on a bit larger capsule..me personally would prefer mounting a capsule with screws...

There shouldn't be any problem to mount M7 - this rubber ring is enough to hold it. Only disadvantage is  backplate connection.  I wouldn't have any problem with that, but i don't know Bandogmusic skills.
Also there will be probably problem with outside metal ring for bigger capsules - so there will be need for some mechanical work...

But it's your choice listen to the guy who has skinned over 30 real m7's and hand build over 200 capsules or the other "expert" 😜😜

Maybe you could enlighten us how many microphones you have build, mod, rebuild etc.?
You know - making car engine (good or bad) doesn't mean that it will fit for all the cars ;)
I don't know if I only have that impression, but you are avoiding capsule response and headbasket matching matter. In my opinion any k47 wouldn't be good for this microphone - if it's similar in any kind to the original. M7 could be better, but still there can be problem with hi midrange.
BTW. in case of being expert, please remember, that you are salesman also, and most informations which you gave in this topic is advertising your capsule, so... ;)

Attachments

• 0577.png
    0577.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 15
Yes I sell a 47 I could give a crap he buys one!!! And of coarse we are copying the greats!! But if you take a look at my 47 it's my own thing and is built differently and sounds better to some.. I offered up as an option yes but name another American made 47??  And I have rebuilt and repaired more microphones than I care to mention. I don't spend my time on forums being behind the keyboard expert,  I would rather let my work speak for itself.  And  I  am who I say I am and don't hide behind false profile information...In76d, what is your name by the way? Country?

Eric Heiserman

Back