U47 clone : AMI or IOAudio +Aputis ? First build ! And capsule question, too...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avgatzeblouz

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if anyone can help choosing between those 2 kits. AMI fuill kit + Thiersch, or IOAudio MK47+Thiersch+Aputis body ? The AMI option is more expensive, but everything is sourced, so maybe there is a saving on shipping. And the PSU is already built.
Basically : AMI+Thiersch = 1490$
IOaudio + Thiersch+Aputis = 300$+320$+300$=920$ + PSU (ropughly 200$ ?)=1120$
Do you guys have any opinioins on both kits, and help me decide ? What can I gain with the AMI that could justify the price difference ?

Thanks a lot !

Avgatzeblouz said:
Hey guys,

I'm wondering if anyone can help choosing between those 2 kits. AMI fuill kit + Thiersch, or IOAudio MK47+Thiersch+Aputis body ? The AMI option is more expensive, but everything is sourced, so maybe there is a saving on shipping. And the PSU is already built.
Basically : AMI+Thiersch = 1490$
IOaudio + Thiersch+Aputis = 300$+320$+300$=920$ + PSU (ropughly 200$ ?)=1120$
Do you guys have any opinioins on both kits, and help me decide ? What can I gain with the AMI that could justify the price difference ?

Thanks a lot !

The AMI kit if this is really just the two options. The AMI kit is much closer to the U47. The IOAudio  MK47 is not the same as the MK-U47 very different. I have built both of Max's U47 kits and the MK-U47 is much closer to an actual 47 both with layout and transformer. To my ears the MK-U47 is a nicer sounding mic then the MK47.  The fact that the PSU is already built with AMI is a huge savings of time and money!

I love my MK-U47 and I have built a U47 copy with AMI transformer they both have their merits. To my ears the IO Bv8 is a little brighter and a little less robust in the Low end department when compared to my mic with the AMI but the source material allows for both to be strong contenders. These are subtle differences.

Lastly if you are not used to these types of builds your IO choice is going to be a lot more machining on your part!

On all other fronts spot on Aputis bodies are awesome. Thierch is a great capsule.

Aouch ! 2 replies, 2 complete different directions ! That's the thing with DIY, you never hear it until you made it, I guess... So I'm lost again.

Pip said:
The AMI kit if this is really just the two options.

Hi Pip, and thanks for your comment. This leads me to another question : would you suggest another option ? I've been seeing your builds on this forum and was very impressed !

Thank you, this is very informative. I've got the feeling I should have it built PTP by a pro. Get an Aputis body, a Thiersch capsule, A VF14 replacement, and an IOaudio or Haufe xformer...

The U47 sound partially comes from low end saturation with the transformer. Sometimes people think to put "better spec" transformers in there and wind up departing from the real sound. Like the Lawson U47, with Jensen transformers, setup to be ultra clean. Not horrible, but not what most think of as a U47 sound.

I'm not sure about the particulars between the AMI and the IOAudio, but maybe something to keep in mind, since the AMI is shooting to match the original transformer qualities, not necessarily to beat some spec parameter.

The AMI EF8X  using setup sounds really good.

I haven't heard the two tube 408a thing, but I tend to think that the circuit can be accomplished with one good tube, as opposed to two sketchy sounding tubes that are hard to find good low noise specimens of. I know that part of the idea is to get the inside hotter, but I wonder about the heat from two tubes. Interesting approach.

From what I read, opinions are mixed, from which I deduct both must be very good. I will go for the cheapest one, then, and maybe buy a crazy capsule. IOAudio, here I come !

So I contacted Larry from ADK, as his capsules seem to be really good. They make 2 capsules : 47 and 49, same price. He answered me this:

Depending on how much EQ Circuitry this devise has, the GK47 is probably
better.  If there is No or Little EQ in the circuit, the GK49 will sound better.

Is there any EQ circuitry in the IOaudio ? I guess not, but wanted to make sure.

Isn't it bizarre that a k47 and k49 should somehow sound different, when they are the same thing from Neumann?  What a weird answer, I wonder why they are different.

I hate to say... because I'm not trying to hype AMI, but whatever k47 that they were using in the UM17 mics at the end, sounds very similar to the legitimate k47.

I have used a handful of the ADK mics - not the capsules - and while not being horrible, I can definitely say that I never plan on buying one. They just don't get too far from that chinese condenser sound. Not sure if that's more from the capsules or from the mic circuits.

I have to laugh at some of the comments in this thread. EF12 is a poor choice for a tube in a U47 to begin with. The Peluso sounded better than the AMI? OK, sure.

Here is attached a screen capture of Larry's mail, comparing the capsules.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-30 at 12.28.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-30 at 12.28.30 PM.png
    221.6 KB · Views: 50
GeorgeToledo said:
Isn't it bizarre that a k47 and k49 should somehow sound different, when they are the same thing from Neumann?  What a weird answer, I wonder why they are different.

I hate to say... because I'm not trying to hype AMI, but whatever k47 that they were using in the UM17 mics at the end, sounds very similar to the legitimate k47.

I have used a handful of the ADK mics - not the capsules - and while not being horrible, I can definitely say that I never plan on buying one. They just don't get too far from that chinese condenser sound. Not sure if that's more from the capsules or from the mic circuits.

I have to laugh at some of the comments in this thread. EF12 is a poor choice for a tube in a U47 to begin with. The Peluso sounded better than the AMI? OK, sure.

Poor is 408a/6028 choice - even two. EF12 can work very well but needs few mods. At least should be compatible with impedance to the BV8. 408a isn't

George Toledo wrote:

In fact the Neumann K47 and K49 are basically the same, but at one point a distinction was made, because the 49 needed a better matched back membrane.
AFAIK.

GK capsules are a little different in that they try to  capture the character of the U47 and M49 respectively regardless of the circuit. (!)
They're high quality capsules though, made by a certain guy who resides in Australia.

GeorgeToledo said:

You say that having tried the EF12 yourself, or just because you read it somewhere?

Otherwise OP, another vote here for the Haufe over the AMI. Sound quality preferences are subjective, but the difference in build quality between the two is extreme. Haven't heard the ioaudio.

Same with T14/1 - if i had to choose  between ami and Haufe - of course i would go for Huafe (as i did :) ).
Even if someone said that these are different than vintage one (i will verify that someday - i promise) - this is closest option and truly professional made.

micaddict said:
George Toledo wrote:
GK capsules are a little different in that they try to  capture the character of the U47 and M49 respectively regardless of the circuit. (!)
They're high quality capsules though, made by a certain guy who resides in Australia.

I'd really love to meet this certain guy who resides in Australia that is making these capsules!  We could have capsule parties!  I'd love to be proved wrong but I'm sure they're Oem.

Ben, are you sure that these aren't your capsules?
Maybe you even don't know ;)
For me it also looks like OEM.
Another german mylar :D

mics said:
micaddict said:
George Toledo wrote:

I'd really love to meet this certain guy who resides in Australia that is making these capsules!  We could have capsule parties!  I'd love to be proved wrong but I'm sure they're Oem.

They sure sound like it.

I'd love to hear an amazing ADK mic or capsule. Again not horrible, but...

On some other forum I read the description as "glassy".  Not too far off. The models I've heard are their k67 and ck12 based things. Maybe a k47 based thing? They have had a lot of different models and subtypes over the years, hard to keep track.

Latest posts

Back