Akg C12A/B - broken connector repair (also applies to C412 & C414comb)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS Vienna

The Cannon connectors used in Akg´s swivel mounts have a cast aluminium shell that commonly breaks in the area where it is fixed by two metal pins.

DSCF0991_kl_zps1n9tb1sm.jpg

I´ve done repair work on some of these connectors. I´d like to share my method because it can be done quite easily and those connectors are hard to find as spare part. In fact those are not regular Cannon connectors but were modified by AKG to make them fit in the swivel mount.
With this easy repair you can avoid the need for connector conversion and preserve the mic´s original appearance.

All you need is a small lathe (hobby-quality will do), metal file, epoxy glue and a piece of brass.

First file/ turn off the material above the routed side slots.
Then make a ring that replaces that portion of the connector sleeve.
DSCN0377e_kl_zpsyljlcqcb.jpg

Glue it in place
DSCN0384e_kl_zpswk4wgehw.jpg

Turn outer diameter flush with connector sleeve and open the side slots ( e.g. using a needle file)
DSCN0468e_kl_zps83rssgpl.jpg

DSCN0732e_kl_zpsrvr0kvfd.jpg

Brass should do in terms of strength. In this particular case however I used bronce. I found a small surplus piece in the right diameter at a metal dealer nearby (who btw was AKG´s supplier of raw brass stock in the past) so I went for it. Some extra strength never hurts.  :)

Great fix!
I'm working on a vintage c12 a with the same problem. thanks for sharing a great Idea! :)

Wow, that’s really something.

I have 3 mic’s that have this sort of mount (all 414COMB’s) and while I haven’t had this problem - I’ve yet to find anything that works well to replace the washers in the swivel lock.

Have any good tricks for that?

Thanks for sharing!
Timothy

Back