Who Makes The Most Authentic-Looking C12 Basket?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klausheyne

A client has an unrepairable basket on his Norbert Pape C12 copy.
(For those unfamiliar with this mic, Pape used some authentic AKG housing parts, AKG passive electronic components, Five Star tubes and restored AKG CK12 capsules.)

The head basket also was AKG-made, and is indistinguishable from that of a late 1950s C12.

I am not that familiar with aftermarket housing parts for C12 "clones" and need advice where I should look for an authentic-looking replacement. The  basket also must have the same attachment points to the body as the original: three holes for three slot screws that screw into the mic frame, covered by a chrome ring.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, KH

Take a look at the FLEA C12 parts:

http://flea-microphones.com/parts.html

The purportedly can be swapped though I haven't tried it myself.

To my memory the part on the AMI kits/Lucas CS1 is slightly different on the bottom ring sizing...though it may be able to be swapped, not sure. But it is not aesthetically dead on.

I had an original C12 with missing head basket, and Flea made a perfect replica. It needed some persuasion though and was not cheap, but quality is top notch.
I also had to send the mic so it could be made fit, as there was some variation over the years.

Klaus,

Might contact Mike Castoro at Wunder Audio. He makes a very good C12 replica and might sell you a head basket.

Good luck!

Tim Campbell said:
Klaus try    [email protected]  This is the email I use to correspond with Milos.
I believe Flea makes Wunder's body including headbasket.

Yes, this is also the reason I mentioned FLEA as opposed to Wunder (though my info about that may be out of date).  :)

The FLEA C12 copy basket has arrived, and it is an astonishingly good recreation of the original (see comparison pictures between an original 1959 basket and FLEA's).

All dimensions are identical (height, circumference, basket weave opening size, wire size,  vertical and horizontal wire count, etc.) Aside of the surface sheen, it would take an expert to tell the two apart.

Attachments

• C12 FLEA 1.jpg
    C12 FLEA 1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 86

Latest posts

Back