new cramp remedy spicy food?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRoberts

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
http://www.esquire.com/lifestyle/health/news/a46643/prevent-muscle-cramps/

I read about this recently in WSJ.. This seems a little inconsistent with the popular wisdom that cramps are caused by dehydration and depleted electrolytes.  In my one rat personal experience, my cramps definitely correlate with summer heat and excessive perspiration.

This new report suggests cramps are caused by overactive nerve firings and capsaicin a primary ingredient in hot peppers can quiet nerves .

Sounds like a good excuse to eat more hot peppers.  (My dinner meal cooking in the crock pot right now has one jalapeno and two serrano peppers in it (purchased before I read the article), not to mention a bunch of chili powder..  8)

JR

PS: In my experience drinking salt water seemed to help my bad cramp events, maybe in the future I need to try hot pepper?

Bananas generally work for me.

But I have had a lot of chillies in a curry tonight, and have a 50 mile bike ride tomorrow morning... so I will let you know how that works out!

z50.

In my family, we refer to our  jalapeño count is down.  Need to have some Mexican food tonight.

living sounds said:
Yes, salt usually does the trick for me. 

Donning "a handfull of habanero peppers" as suggested isn't something I would recommend to anyone though.  :eek:
?? I did not read that esquire article and do not suggest that. Probably written by somebody who never ate one habanero. A handful could put a major hurt on someone.

I have a container of dried habanero in my cupboard because we don't get fresh habanero in markets here.  A little bit of habanero goes a long way....

My pot of chili yesterday with one jalapeno and two serranos added to all that chili powder was hot enough for me.  :eek:

I like the subtle taste differences between different kinds of hot peppers, but make it too hot and you can't taste anything.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
My pot of chili yesterday with one jalapeno and two serranos added to all that chili powder was hot enough for me.  :eek:

I like the subtle taste differences between different kinds of hot peppers, but make it too hot and you can't taste anything.

JR

spicey is good :)

i would stay away from chili powder, or any spice / herb in powder form...
u never know what they mix in...
after couple of incidents,
we stopped buying most herb/spice in powder form.
we go for fresh or dried versions.

i have a grinder/blender does the job for me...

"cramp remedy"

There are several causes of cramps.

Yours may well be due to heavy exertion in tropical climate. Water, and water/salt balance, sometimes potassium balance, are key factors.  I doubt over-active nerve endings.

My "cramps" are artifacts of spinal nerve pressure. The nerve in the back is pressed (now bruised), it fires erratically. It normally services my leg, so my leg "hurts" and sometimes cramps. Capsaicin *might* give my nerve something else to complain about. And like TENS, it might dope me with endorphins.

Though after that "Szechuan chicken" I had last week, steamtable pigeon with little HOT red flakes sprinkled over, I'm inclined to oatmeal. (It IS the lowest-class Chinese place around, and I got what I expected, but once a year is enuff.)

I have doubt I, or you, or any healthy human, could eat enough peppers to get enough capsaicin into the system (not just mouth/gut) to stir deep nerves.

I'm sure you are aware of the journalistic urge to write-up the insanest ideas to fill space. Doug Self's Museum is full of old (some less-old) articles on propeller-driven mono-wheels and square pistons. (Oddly, one square piston engine was in production for over 50 years.)

PRR said:
"cramp remedy"

There are several causes of cramps.

Yours may well be due to heavy exertion in tropical climate. Water, and water/salt balance, sometimes potassium balance, are key factors.  I doubt over-active nerve endings.

My "cramps" are artifacts of spinal nerve pressure. The nerve in the back is pressed (now bruised), it fires erratically. It normally services my leg, so my leg "hurts" and sometimes cramps. Capsaicin *might* give my nerve something else to complain about. And like TENS, it might dope me with endorphins.

Though after that "Szechuan chicken" I had last week, steamtable pigeon with little HOT red flakes sprinkled over, I'm inclined to oatmeal. (It IS the lowest-class Chinese place around, and I got what I expected, but once a year is enuff.)

I have doubt I, or you, or any healthy human, could eat enough peppers to get enough capsaicin into the system (not just mouth/gut) to stir deep nerves.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-new-way-to-prevent-muscle-cramps-1468256588
OK here is the original article, not a flake...
I'm sure you are aware of the journalistic urge to write-up the insanest ideas to fill space. Doug Self's Museum is full of old (some less-old) articles on propeller-driven mono-wheels and square pistons. (Oddly, one square piston engine was in production for over 50 years.)

I do not embrace the hot pepper as a "magic" solution, but I remain open minded since sodium and potassium salts (ringers solution) don't get it done.

No cramps today after a decent dose of capsaicin.  I spent several hours in the MS sun... only low 90s today but they make up for that with high humidity.

Nerves firing are involved  somehow..... or not.

JR

kambo said:
i would stay away from chili powder, or any spice / herb in powder form...
u never know what they mix in...

Yes, but it's a perfect DIY opportunity. We've got several spices and spice blends here I roasted, mixed, grinded (use a coffee mill) myself. Not a lot of work, roasting smells great and the taste of these blends is way better than any ready-made stuff you can buy in a shop.

JR,

Are you talking about cramp, when say your calf muscle goes into spasm and it hurts like hell, or are you talking about "jumpy legs" or restless legs  syndrome?

DaveP

Yes, could you be a bit more specific?

In any case, I'd try magnesium (citrate).
Or lots of green vegs daily.

Walking is the best exercise there is IMO.

Mouth closed during exercise (too).

DaveP said:
JR,

Are you talking about cramp, when say your calf muscle goes into spasm and it hurts like hell, or are you talking about "jumpy legs" or restless legs  syndrome?

DaveP
Cramps are spontaneous muscle contractions, the larger the muscle the more it hurts. 

JR

micaddict said:
Yes, could you be a bit more specific?

In any case, I'd try magnesium (citrate).
Or lots of green vegs daily.

Walking is the best exercise there is IMO.

Mouth closed during exercise (too).
Connecting another dot that reinforces the over active  nerve firing as possible cramp cause, if I get a cramp in a major muscle while lying down in bed, the quickest way to release the cramp is to stand up on the leg and walk a few steps. This points to nerve firing that might get cleared by sending a new nerve impulse down the line. I doubt that hydration or blood chemistry is affected by standing up.

JR

PS: I do not currently have cramping problems. I stay hydrated, even add salt to food during summer months. Now I will eat even more hot pepper (good excuse).

> release the cramp is to stand up on the leg and walk a few steps.

"Charley Horse".

Which actually is used for several similar problems and several causes.

Jumping out of bed and standing on the ball of one foot used to be routine for me. That was largely lumbar (or piriformis) nerve-pinch. But Google it, lots of related info.

Thinking about this some more, capsaicin having a mitigating effect does not rule out blood electrolytes as being the cause. The electrolyte imbalance could create the environment for nerves to misfire.

Yup I remember "charley horse" term from back when I was a kid.

JR

PS: Sometimes in summer months after doing too much yard work I will get cramping in the small muscles of my hands. Not painful just a little annoying, but appears use related as if muscles are depleted.

Last night I performed an experiment to see if capsaicin could mitigate my early morning cramping. Both calves would cramp up many mornings this time of the year while I am lying in bed half awake.  The cramps would clear after standing up and walking a few steps but an unpleasant way to wake up.  I decided to make a hot (very hot) salsa with chopped tomatoes, garlic, and a few dried habanera, I had in my cupboard for emergency heat.

I believe I might have made it too strong, my nose was running for a couple hours after swallowing one small spoonful.

Yesterday I did a few hours of yard work, helping a neighbor move and pile up some old wood to make a bonfire next weekend, In my experience when I sweat this much outdoors, cramps follow. But this morning zero cramps.  ;D

Purely anecdotal but so far 100% success. I think I may dilute my caliente salsa, it's a little too hot.  ;D I need to drink more liquids too.  I still think dehydration (electrolyte levels)  is directly causing the cramps, but it appears capsaicin helps in the margin.

JR

PS: don't scratch you nuts after handling habanera.  :eek: Then don't try to cool hot nuts off with some hand cream, that just spreads the heat around even more. :eek: :eek: Cooking oil is good for dissolving and lifting capsaicin which is oil soluble, but I didn't feel like oiling up my nuts last night.

Latest posts

Back