LTSpiceIV

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnheath

Hi all…

I was advised to use the LTSpice for doing analysis of circuits… frequency response and more.

I have downloaded the software and I have laid out a schematic of a HPF between two triode stages… so far so good, but I do not know how to add the needed components and values of voltages and all to get the "run" going.

Can somebody please inform me what could be wrong.

And… I know that a copy of the schematic would help but I do not know how to copy it into this forum (I am not a computer guy  :-\ )

Best regards

/John

Maybe you can attach the project file here and somone can help you out? (rename as xx.jpg) I remember I was struggling with it myself, then I got it to work and then I always used a template to start with which includes the oscillator - so now I can't really remember it. I got the information from a youtube tutorial if you want to search a bit.

Michael

There's a tutorial somewhere if you google.

You need to place a voltage source on the input and when you edit the parameters of it, there is a "small signal AC" or something like that box over to the right. Put 1V into that. Make sure you have a ground connection in the circuit and it isn't all floating.

Then, under the Simulate drop down menu, select "Edit Simulation Command". You will see a few tabs. Basically, when you hit run later, it runs the last selected tab. You can get a frequency response by setting your type and limits under the "AC Analysis" tab.

For Noise, you need to define the output and input nodes. Hover your mouse over the nodes to find out their names.

Cheers,
Matt.

Thanks guys… very much appreciated info.

I'll have check at it tomorrow otherwise it will be loooong night :)

Best regards

/John

I took a quick look and it seems that I don't have the toolbar and a lot more… so there might be a mistake in my downloading… I use a mac, could that be the problem??? (stupid question)

Any ideas?

Regards

/John

Arrgh… downloaded it on a window-based laptop and it works.

Mac is good most of the times but sometimes it is just bull…

Tjipp tjipp

/John

johnheath said:
Hi all…

I was advised to use the LTSpice for doing analysis of circuits… frequency response and more.

I have downloaded the software and I have laid out a schematic of a HPF between two triode stages… so far so good, but I do not know how to add the needed components and values of voltages and all to get the "run" going.

Can somebody please inform me what could be wrong.

And… I know that a copy of the schematic would help but I do not know how to copy it into this forum (I am not a computer guy  :-\ )

Best regards

/John
What you should really do first is go to the LTspice group
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/LTspice/info
register there and upload the .asc file to the Fiels-> Temp folder on the LTspice group, and ask the community there, who are very willing to help, but they don't like people who ask "why doesn't it work" without having uploaded the circuit, or people who attach a file to their post (it doesn't work, because of yahoo), and they don't help you to design a circuit, they are there to help you making LTspice work for you, all things that you are warned off when joining.
Adding components in LTspice is quite straightforward. Many standard components are in the upper tool bar. Now, if you want specific components you may have to go to the LTspice website and search; you may also google something like Ltspice ECC83 and getr many answers...

Yes, I hear you :). I usually never just ask out in the sky… I am practical guy who really likes to try first… my life has billion trials and errors :D

I managed to download it better (working) in Window… in my Mac the toolbar never showed up and it worked on the first try in Windows. I will sit and play with it for a while to learn as much as I can.

But thanks a lot for the advise of the forum I will certainly check it up. And thank you for the advise to use the LTSpice in the beginning  ;)

Best regards

/John

johnheath said:
Arrgh… downloaded it on a window-based laptop and it works.

Mac is good most of the times but sometimes it is just bull…

Tjipp tjipp

/John

Both programs are LTspice. They just have different user interfaces - neither is "broken" or fraudulent. FWIW, the author of LTspice, Mike Engelhardt,  uses the Mac version now, and updates it first. So, while the old tutorials generally reference the old Windows version, the Mac version is the one that gets the newer features now.

My only complaint with the Mac version is that you need a mouse with a right button to do a right click. Control-left-click should be the same as right click, but it is not. Aside from that, it's great software!

johnheath said:
I took a quick look and it seems that I don't have the toolbar and a lot more… so there might be a mistake in my downloading… I use a mac, could that be the problem??? (stupid question)

There is a handy list of Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts here.

In fact, on LT's download page, it is two bullet points below the download link for the OS X version of the software.

Yes, for whatever weird reason the UI is different on OS X vs Windows. But the OS X version works just as well as the Windows version.

Michael Tibes said:
Maybe you can attach the project file here and somone can help you out? (rename as xx.jpg) I remember I was struggling with it myself, then I got it to work and then I always used a template to start with which includes the oscillator - so now I can't really remember it. I got the information from a youtube tutorial if you want to search a bit.

Michael

Seconded this... save a copy with .jpg extension and post it, we may be better able to help.

I recently was in the same spot as you (on a Mac) and feel like I'm past the worst of the learning curve. Dissecting other people's existing files has been bar-none the most helpful thing.

Try poking around on the DIYAudio forums. A lot of helpful info there, both advice and actual .asc files, scattered throughout a million threads. There's also a central LTSpice help thread that's quite long.

Latest posts

Back