Need help with AMI T13 and T14 Transformers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtl777diy

I'm looking at the AMI T13 transformer - http://www.tab-funkenwerk.com/id133.html - and need help identifying which pair of wires is yellow 1 / black 1 and which pair is yellow 2 / black 2.  Is yellow 1 / black 1 the pair on the left side?  Why did AMI make both pairs of wires yellow and black?  Why did they not use a different color for the other pair to avoid confusion?

A similar question on the AMI T14 transformer - http://www.tab-funkenwerk.com/id76.html - which pair of wires is blue 1 / red 1 and which pair is blue 2 / red 2?

Lastly, why is it that on the T13 the wires are at the bottom, whereas on the T14 the wires are at the top?  Does the placement of the wires have any significance or meaning?

Sorry for these newbie questions.

Thanks in advance for your much appreciated help!  :)

It doesn't matter which pair you use for 1 or 2, as long as you attach the wires according to the schematic drawings you linked to on the TAB Funkenwerk website. On the T13, there will be two pairs of wires, with a black and yellow wire in each pair. Just be sure that the yellow wire from one pair goes to the capacitor and the black wire from that same pair goes to pin 2 (+) on the XLR, and the remaining yellow wire goes to ground and remaining black wire goes to XLR pin 3 (-).

It will be the same protocol for the T14, but blue and red wires instead of yellow and black.

There's really not a top or bottom on those transformers that I'm aware of, it's just how they apply the labels. I can see how that would be confusing. It's OK to mount them in any orientation. Oliver recommended clear E6000 adhesive for gluing down transformers. Not white or black, use the clear stuff.

Hope that helps!

AusTex64 said:
It doesn't matter which pair you use for 1 or 2, as long as you attach the wires according to the schematic drawings you linked to on the TAB Funkenwerk website. On the T13, there will be two pairs of wires, with a black and yellow wire in each pair. Just be sure that the yellow wire from one pair goes to the capacitor and the black wire from that same pair goes to pin 2 (+) on the XLR, and the remaining yellow wire goes to ground and remaining black wire goes to XLR pin 3 (-).

It will be the same protocol for the T14, but blue and red wires instead of yellow and black.

There's really not a top or bottom on those transformers that I'm aware of, it's just how they apply the labels. I can see how that would be confusing. It's OK to mount them in any orientation. Oliver recommended clear E6000 adhesive for gluing down transformers. Not white or black, use the clear stuff.

Hope that helps!

Awesome!  Your reply is very helpful.  Thank you so much!  :)

AusTex64 said:
On the T13, there will be two pairs of wires, with a black and yellow wire in each pair. Just be sure that the yellow wire from one pair goes to the capacitor and the black wire from that same pair goes to pin 2 (+) on the XLR, and the remaining yellow wire goes to ground and remaining black wire goes to XLR pin 3 (-).

One more question:  Let's say that I have connected the wires as you describe but then I find that the output of the mic is out of phase.  Should I just swap the two black wires so that the black wire that went to XLR pin 2 (+) will now go to XLR pin 3 (-) and the black wire that went to XLR pin 3 (-) will now go to XLR pin 2 (+)?  Is this all I need to do to correct the phase and I don't need to change the connection of the yellow wires?

Thanks!  :)

<Should I just swap the two black wires so that the black wire that went to XLR pin 2 (+) will now go to XLR pin 3 (-) and the black wire that went to XLR pin 3 (-) will now go to XLR pin 2 (+)? >

Yes, that's correct.

AusTex64 said:
<Should I just swap the two black wires so that the black wire that went to XLR pin 2 (+) will now go to XLR pin 3 (-) and the black wire that went to XLR pin 3 (-) will now go to XLR pin 2 (+)? >

Yes, that's correct.

Thank you!  :)

So the yellow wires do not have to be swapped, only the black wires?  What will happen if you swap the yellow wires also?  I guess the mic output will still be out of phase, correct?

<So the yellow wires do not have to be swapped, only the black wires?  What will happen if you swap the yellow wires also?  I guess the mic output will still be out of phase, correct?>

Correct.

Someone told me this on how to identify/verify the wires of the transformer with a multimeter (in case they were wired wrong at the factory):

"Measure the resistance of every pair of wires. The higher resistance wires connect to the capacitor and ground."

I wanted to get more details about this procedure but unfortunately the guy who told me this is so busy and hard to reach.  Would you happen to know this procedure and be able to provide me the details?

Thanks!

Back