Tiny Neutrik NTE10/3 transformer for microphone output 10:1 for tube and FET

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ln76d

Hey Guys,

today i tested NT10/3,  wired backward for 10:1,  in U87 type circuit.
http://www.neutrik.com/en/accessories/nte10-3
It sounds really great!!!
It's really small (still bigger than beyer :) ), cost almost nothing, available almost everywhere without any problem.
Urban legends says that these are made by Haufe.
I measured response and it's linear from 20Hz to the sky :D
Next i will use it in tube microphone ;)
Due to small size it can be also great for small diaphragm "pencil" microphones.
Since that it can work with 3:1 ratio it could be great for cathode and emitter followers!
Any chinese mxl/audix/alctron etc. circuits with U87i input  topology and C414 emitter follower at the output can be easily converted to the full U87i circuit with this tranny.
Worth to try!

Yes Neutrik trannies are great!!!

I use in my Studer micpreQ 500 serie, NTM4 and it is sound great!

It is two range of this trannies, one is with Mu-metal(NTM4,NTL1,NTM1) and NTE series without Mu-metal(NTE1, NTE4, NTE10/3)!!!!

I always thinking to use this NTE10/3 in my G7 tube mic!I think that can be great sound and freq response!

I think that this trannie NTE10/3 can be used in lot of stuff!

I have measured multiple transformers (10:1) from Apex 460 microphones.
They are not screened, but the frequency response is excellent! (20 Hz - 40 KHz within less than 1 dB)
Big cores, so low distortion even at high levels.
I don't think you will gain much quality by replacing the transformer in an Apex 460. (Although some 'microphone upgrade sellers' advise you to do so, probably because they hope to sell you a new transformer!)
The capsule and the tube are much more interesting upgrade possibilities!

RuudNL said:
I have measured multiple transformers (10:1) from Apex 460 microphones.
They are not screened, but the frequency response is excellent! (20 Hz - 40 KHz within less than 1 dB)
Big cores, so low distortion even at high levels.
I don't think you will gain much quality by replacing the transformer in an Apex 460. (Although some 'microphone upgrade sellers' advise you to do so, probably because they hope to sell you a new transformer!)
The capsule and the tube are much more interesting upgrade possibilities!

I didn't mentioned anything about replacing it in microphones like apex 460 :)
For these types of upgrades rather am using old transformers with its own character.
Usual the chinese transformers are pretty clean - not my cup of tea :D
Also rather am not thinking about this transformer as an upgrade for any stock 10:1.
Anyway :D
Small cores, so probability of some distortion at high levels :D
Also am not the guy which reads any sellers advise, usual am not buying stuff like ami or cinemag.

For chinese U87i/C414 topologies it's a different thing - it's change of emitter follower and 2:1 ratio transformer to typical for U87i output with 10:1.
This topic is rather dedicated to the people which want to build it own microphone than mod any (except mentioned fet as example).
Today you will se what am talking about ;)

Yes, it's pretty great transformer :D

I started new microphone project with it:
http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=63436.msg803459#msg803459

ln76d said:
I didn't mentioned anything about replacing it in microphones like apex 460 :)
The only thing I wanted to say, is that some transformers are not as inferior as stated by other people.
(That goes for the Neutrik transformers, but also for the stock Apex 460 transformers.)

Those small Neutrik trannies are ideal for KM84 circuit clones...  ;)
Used them in a U87 clone as well - not bad, although I like the Haufe T14/1 better...

micaddict said:

Just what I was hoping to hear.
You beat me to it.

Any suggestions for a really smooth sounding capsule?

If you will promise that you will build KM84 SDC by yourself, i will send you for shipping cost one donor mike with smooth capsule ;)
Do you take the challenge?
:D :D :D

ln76d said:
micaddict said:

Just what I was hoping to hear.
You beat me to it.

Any suggestions for a really smooth sounding capsule?

If you will promise that you will build KM84 SDC by yourself, i will send you for shipping cost one donor mike with smooth capsule ;)
Do you take the challenge?
:D :D :D

Deal!  :D

I built a KM84 circuit into an MXL 603 using a Neutrik NTE 10/3 long time ago. I think I posted about it here but there wasn't much interest. Sounded better than the 603 stock circuit.

Those tiny NTE transformers sound fine as long as you keep levels low.  Bass response is okay, too, although their inductance is lower than on more upmarket microphone transformers. I agree with RuudNL that the NTE 10/3 is not necessarily better than the transformers you find in Chinese mics.

In general, I think of transformers as variables. How good or bad they perform depends largely on the circuit. And on your requirements. If you want low distortion at high levels, a small core won't do. A small transformer may distort even at medium levels, if the signal contains a lot of low end. So there are reasons to use a bigger transformer.

micaddict said:
Do you think Piotr will allow me to ask some advice if need be?

Why not? :D
I will also give you some tips ;)
Only you have to build it by yourself :D :D :D
Did you received  email?

Rossi said:
I built a KM84 circuit into an MXL 603 using a Neutrik NTE 10/3 long time ago. I think I posted about it here but there wasn't much interest. Sounded better than the 603 stock circuit.

You will have to make a kit to get any attention :D :D :D

Rossi said:
I agree with RuudNL that the NTE 10/3 is not necessarily better than the transformers you find in Chinese mics.

In fact it is :D
Reason one - they are small, you can use it in really small circuits or just any circuits :D

Rossi said:
If you want low distortion at high levels, a small core won't do. A small transformer may distort even at medium levels, if the signal contains a lot of low end.

And that's the second reason! Small core transformers usual add a little coloration!
That's why i love small trannies like beyer, sennheiser, some haufe and now neutrik (which probably also is haufe).

Latest posts

Back