Best 87 capsule ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avgatzeblouz

Hi everyone,
As I have 2 kits to build Poctop 87s, I wonder which capsule would get me to the closest point possible, without going Neumann. Has anyone be able to compare the HK87 with an original one, soundwise ? I heard a shootout between the beesneez one vs an original, and it was very good, but was lacking the magic on both ends (low and high).

Any real world experience would be much appreciated !
Thanks all.

I don't mean to be a nay-sayer, but how can you be 10000% sure the lacking "magic" wasn't lacking in the source itself, or the mic placement? Just a thought...

Could be, but I doubt it. It was the same mic, with a capsule swap, and the softness and roundness differences are constant, even as you hear the guy moving. And anyway, that is why I'm asking for experiences in this thread. I'm not specifically asking for opinions about this particular shootout, but more asking : "Here is my starting point, can anybody share its own experience, and even better soundclips, to help me make an enlighten decision ?" I know 4 manufacturers making replacement capsules : Beesneez, Heiserman, Mic-parts, and Peluso. And I love love love a good vintage U87, so I would like to get as close as possible. Thanks for any help that can be provided !

Can I see pics of the beesneez and the original capsule?  There were so many versions of the Original and each had different highs and lows.  Thanks.  Ben

mics said:
Can I see pics of the beesneez and the original capsule?  There were so many versions of the Original and each had different highs and lows.  Thanks.  Ben

Yes I thought so. The variations and the aging of those capsules make it more a lottery to find that rare piece of perfect emotionnal carrier in a mic. Sorry, I don't have pics. And the sound difference is subtle, but just that subtlety that makes a difference between a good or a great sounding mic and one that captures an emotion on top of a balanced eq. With mics, I always look for an emotionnal feeling : intimacy, punch, softness, jealousy, honesty, etc... And I wonder what emotion can each mic carry the best. Anyway, I digress. Thanks for chiming in.

Back