W. Marshall Leach's pages

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PRR

Prof Leach is missed. He taught EE at Georgia Tech, touching on many audio topics. When he passed, I feared these would be lost. (In a university, you quit/retire/die, the IT dept closes your server space.) Some wise soul harvested Leach's pages and got them hosted within Georgia Tech web-space.

http://leachlegacy.ece.gatech.edu/

Note that some links, especially software, are way outdated.

PRR said:
Prof Leach is missed. He taught EE at Georgia Tech, touching on many audio topics. When he passed, I feared these would be lost. (In a university, you quit/retire/die, the IT dept closes your server space.) Some wise soul harvested Leach's pages and got them hosted within Georgia Tech web-space.

http://leachlegacy.ece.gatech.edu/

Note that some links, especially software, are way outdated.

I'm sure his AES papers and the like are preserved, but sometimes people need to be proactive about saving good WWW content.
======
There is a classic "Drum Tuning Bible" written by a Prof Sound (aka J Scott Johnson from Indianapolis? ) and self published on his earthlink website.  I think he died a few years back and when the web hosting payments to earthlink stopped the drum tuning bible website went down.

I found another  copy out in the WWW and hosted it on my website, so it will be around a while longer.  It is a classic general drum tuning resource and too valuable to let it just fade away.

JR

AES access is more money than I care to spend.

Marshall has/had many of his published articles on his own pages. (I had thought that AES et al claimed all rights, but this seems to be weakly enforced.)

archive.org tends to have old-old sites, but rarely complete. Might be worth searching for those drum pages.

PRR said:
AES access is more money than I care to spend.

Marshall has/had many of his published articles on his own pages. (I had thought that AES et al claimed all rights, but this seems to be weakly enforced.)

archive.org tends to have old-old sites, but rarely complete. Might be worth searching for those drum pages.
I have already hosted a copy of the drum tuning bible so it is safe for now.

I tried to search for it on archive .org and they returned 3 music hits?
=====
most AES papers are written in connection with companies promoting a technology. That corp has about 15 AES papers on their website .  http://www.thatcorp.com/Tech_Papers.shtml

I recall one of the THAT corp engineers telling me that AES was upset when they put up one paper before it published in the journal.

JR

> AES was upset when they put up one paper before it published in the journal.

That would be "first publication rights" violation. What authors usually must give to be published. And why would I pay $7 for Popular Capacitors magazine if I find the main article online free before the pulp hits the stands?

Many large publishers claim "All rights forever any media". (I also noted this when helping prepare a PhD thesis for Ann Arbor microfilm.)

PRR said:
> AES was upset when they put up one paper before it published in the journal.

That would be "first publication rights" violation. What authors usually must give to be published. And why would I pay $7 for Popular Capacitors magazine if I find the main article online free before the pulp hits the stands?

Many large publishers claim "All rights forever any media". (I also noted this when helping prepare a PhD thesis for Ann Arbor microfilm.)
Over the decades I have written a number of articles for publications that were clearly work for hire and their copyright. Since then several of these publications are defunct. I suspect somebody owns these old copyrights but little idea of who.

Someday I'd like to host my old writings, what's the worst that could happen?  The old audio mythology column is still current since the old audio myths refuse to die.

JR

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/ has many of your writings, both audio-myth and DIY projects. They have been up long enough for rights holders to object. Most web hosting companies have a slick rights-complaint removal mechanism. They still there. So I would assume nobody is enforcing rights on most older tech-babble.

It sure would be reasonable for you to search "your name" and nab copies of your own writings. Whether you have a right to post your own writing can be a grey area. I don't think anybody has been put in jail for posting stuff like this. (Hollywood movies are the big exception, they sue for big damages; I have heard of Toshiba threatening folks who share their Service Manuals.)

Thanks, I bookmarked that.... something else to do in my spare time.

I already have a vanity website, but it has fallen into disrepair with broken links and missing images.

JR

Dang...I never snooped around on that website.  It appears that all the articles I wrote are archived there.

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Modern-Recording.htm

Makes me wonder about keeping all those paper magazine copies I've saved for decades...LOL!

Bri

The scans are generally not that great if pictures or schematics are of interest.  Legible, but not archival by any stretch. 

Latest posts

Back