TC ELECTRONICS M5000 Dead power supply!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

studiopaul

upon looking on the internet for information on the TC Electronics M5000.

1. Most original PSUs have failed by now.
2. The upgraded M6000 mod PSU is no longer available.
3. Trying to repair the original PSU is tough and usually will not last that long...I also believe it was under rated and unable to run all 4 cards.
I believe it maybe better to resource a newer power supply and connect the 6 wires correctly than to spend weeks trying to repair the old crappy power supply.

Is there anyone with an official pinout of these power supplies and is correct voltages and current ratings?
that and the return voltage or sense?
Has anyone successfully found a better replacement option?

Do anyone have original installer disks (application software V2 ...due to rom failure to re install?
Do anyone have the upgrade software for the additional DSP MD2.

I really would love to resolve and repair mine and I'm sure there are many that would still enjoy keeping these running.

Thank you for all your input!!!

This is a great start  to try to repair the PSU...however as mentioned above these units are reported to not be able to handle the current load with 4 expansion slots filled.
That and most of these boards are mostly burned or covered in glue (cap guts and rust).

Id love to find a larger rated PSU with better cooling (venting chassis too, complete with fan..like the 6000 mod).
This would extend the life of these machines!

On inspecting my dead TC M5000

1. I reflowed the main pcb..albeit corroded and not easy to get a clean flow of solder (board is a mess).
2. cleaned all pins of the Molex (male and female) and tested continuity and its low resistance.

results so far.

on powering up ..
I have now gotten a bright green illuminated back light that then dims a second later..
No text or graphics show even when adjusting viewing angle potentiometer.

Voltages on the Main PCB molex read.

Pin 1 Brown  to  Pin 3 Black = +14 vdc

Pin 2 Red        to Pin 3 Black = +3.5 vdc that fluctuates.. I imagine this needs to be at 5vdc

Pin 6    Black  to Pin 7      Blue =  -16.7 vdc
Pin 6    Black  to Pin 8  White =  -4.9 vdc

Battery is still reading  3.1vdc..Im hoping this is enough to hold memory status.

the daughter board on the Power supply looks a mess.....sigh would rather replace the whole thing for new if I can confirm the power supplies and sense connections.
Tc as we know do not like giving out any schematics or offer any support.
Any members here have any solid details on the power requirements and each pin?

Im wondering if i can find a duel channel like one of these with the fan built in.
one of these that is +-18v  +-5v ..wondering how to get the OV line rather than using chassis ground.

I'm unable to post link here but found these when searched on eBay .
"Quad output Q-120C ac to dc switching power supply(5v 15v -5v -15v)"

wondering if anyone can confirm if 15volts will power it or if it needs the full 18v?

Here's the schematic for a modified Yamaha AD8HR supply which a friend of mine at work has been using for awhile.
It's nice and quiet even though the switching frequencies are not in the MHz range.
Most of the parts are SMD so the board can be made as small as possible.

To get additional +/-5V rails, duplicate the circuit, calculate the feedback resistors value for +/-7V output, and use 7805/7905.

Proper heat sinks are always recommended.

Good luck :)

Attachments

• Dual Output SMPS.png
    Dual Output SMPS.png
    107.4 KB · Views: 36

Latest posts

Back