weird foreign posts

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kambo

i am sure many of you noticed that weird posts in foreign language  (non English)
with hyper links.... are we under attack ?

We are a global community, so "foreign" may not be the best way to describe the onslaught of spam.
But yes, spam is a persistent nuisance. Much appreciation to the members that report it, and the moderators that squash it!

are we under attack ?
According to server logs, we average about 2 attempts/second. Mostly brute force attacks at commonly used ports, from IP addresses all around the world. Those log files get big quick! :eek:

Sorry but don't see nothing here..........?  ???
Can you point to the links....?
Maybe some internet users should clear the browser "cache" more often,
Or use  browser filter tools,.... the maintstream web is full of invasive "sh*t!
How many users are on W10  ?
And where have you visited and given you're email too ?.
No sh*t sherlock !
"Modern  Times"
http://map.norsecorp.com/#/
Be Aware

helterbelter said:
Ethan said:
According to server logs, we average about 2 attempts/second.

That many ?!? ..... is that normal for a forum ?
I don't think it's unusual for a server that is on the open web.  It comes in waves, sometimes more, sometimes less. Most of the time, it's not a 1:1 deliberate attack per se. I suspect much of the noise comes from compromised computers whose owners are oblivious that there may be malicious scripts running on their machine, doing the dirty work, and dropping off the payload back home.

> Sorry but don't see nothing here..........?

Our moderators are good with the mops.

This forum had a rash of spam in Russian for mirrors.

Next day, another forum had a rash of the same Russian mirrors. I counted 14 identical posts from one "member" at the moment I clicked "Report to moderator".

This is hardly even graffiti. Posts wash-off easier than spray paint.

I do think it notable that this poster didn't bother to notice that this forum is not Russian language, and not about mirrors (no matter how beautiful in the photos). And on the other forum, the spammer was posting the same message 6 times in one thread.

This of course is different from the "2 per second attacks". All software has bugs. If you make a request to a server for something you shouldn't have, it just might give it to you if you phrase the request just-so. MicroSoft webserver was very prone to mis-counting directory levels and giving access to "root directory" if a hacker put enough slashes and dots in a URL. A decade ago there was a bug in Apache Mod Rewrite which would allow access to wrong folders. PHP and other server processes have sometimes been vulnerable to subtle syntax.

As a best-case, a hacker could access financial and membership records on the server but supposedly outside the public folders. (Usually the hacker gets nothing worth the trouble. I have even seen "hack scripts" working industriously trying to gain access to files that WERE public with simple public URLs.)

JohnRoberts said:
I heard there is a new Iphone hack.. where you click on a link and they gotcha...

JR

+
if u go over the hyperlink with mouse pointer : you are actually activating a code, u dont necessarily need to click on any link!

so on spam mails, dot even make your mouse go over the hyperlinks! just report or exit

PRR said:
> Sorry but don't see nothing here..........?

Our moderators are good with the mops.

This forum had a rash of spam in Russian for mirrors.

Next day, another forum had a rash of the same Russian mirrors. I counted 14 identical posts from one "member" at the moment I clicked "Report to moderator".

This is hardly even graffiti. Posts wash-off easier than spray paint.

I do think it notable that this poster didn't bother to notice that this forum is not Russian language, and not about mirrors (no matter how beautiful in the photos). And on the other forum, the spammer was posting the same message 6 times in one thread.

This of course is different from the "2 per second attacks". All software has bugs. If you make a request to a server for something you shouldn't have, it just might give it to you if you phrase the request just-so. MicroSoft webserver was very prone to mis-counting directory levels and giving access to "root directory" if a hacker put enough slashes and dots in a URL. A decade ago there was a bug in Apache Mod Rewrite which would allow access to wrong folders. PHP and other server processes have sometimes been vulnerable to subtle syntax.

As a best-case, a hacker could access financial and membership records on the server but supposedly outside the public folders. (Usually the hacker gets nothing worth the trouble. I have even seen "hack scripts" working industriously trying to gain access to files that WERE public with simple public URLs.)

My website gets scanned for vulnerabilities every month, by a security service associated with my credit card servicer. Pretty quiet these days but up until about a year ago I was running an open source web shopping cart (PHP), on a server provided by a small ISP in FL.  It seemed like every scan found new potential threats (like the ones PRR mentioned and more). It seemed like I was about the only customer that ISP had with a secure website so they were constantly playing catch up and I was the man in the middle sending their ISP server software maintenance guy copies of my vulnerability reports every month.

In that world there is an arms race going on between the hackers and the server software providers to stay one step ahead, or at least only one step behind the smartest hackers.

I finally rebuilt my website using a different much bigger and more secure  ISP, and changed my CC/Paypal function to use "buy now" buttons that the customer clicks on a link and is routed to the provider's very secure website to complete the CC or paypal transaction. Since I never even see the credit card numbers and confidential data, it's hard for me to mishandle them. 

Different websites present different kinds of targets for hackers. It's a jungle out there...

JR

Back