TG-1, 2254 or 33609 which one should I do as my next project?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spencerleehorton

Hi All,

Wanting some advice on which one I should attempt next, I have a chandler printout of the pcb and can make my own pcb of it, but I have heard it doesn't sound at all like the TG -12345?
I have sourced most of the parts as well, just would like reassurance that to mod it to either original it shouldn't be that much hassle.
Also wanted to make my own pcbs for 2254 and 33609 if anyone can help?

Regards

Spence.

I'd probably attempt the one I wanted most. Desired the sound of most. :)

I think I'll start on the TG and then mod it to my requirements if needed until I get the other BC pcbs for the 2254 sorted.
I'm sure it will be ok as from what I've heard the transformers for the TG are the main tonal part.
Does anyone have any info on the transformers if I was to wind my own?
They look like they would be EI-75 size as bigger than the Neve EI-65?

Regards

Spence.

Spencerleehorton said:
I have a chandler printout of the pcb and can make my own pcb of it, but I have heard it doesn't sound at all like the TG -12345

The TG-12345 is the Curvebender, not the compressor http://chandlerlimited.com/curve-bender/
I believe you're after the TG-12413.  ;) What Layout or information do you have? To me the 2254 is more of an 'invisible' compressor, really smooth, and the TG has way more 'grip', it can slam the signal if you want him to do so. Getting the TG right is not easy and not really publicly documented - if anyone in the free world outside of EMI even really knows what 'right' is. As far as I remember it needs more complex adjustments than the 2254. The 33609 is the more modern, IC-based version of the 2254, I'd go the extra mile and do the 2254 instead.

Michael

33609 IC based?
I think not.
Only the last versions that used the 640 (instead of the 340 or 440) output amp used one IC in the output amp.
The biggest difference between the 2254, 2264 and 33609 is the early ones are class A.

nielsk said:
33609 IC based?
I think not.
Only the last versions that used the 640 (instead of the 340 or 440) output amp used one IC in the output amp.
The biggest difference between the 2254, 2264 and 33609 is the early ones are class A.
It is possible that I've only come across a late revision of it - which I remember contained 5534 to my own surprise. It's been a long time ago, so my apologies in case I got things mixed up. Anyway I'd still go for the 2254  :)
Michael

You will never regret having a 2254
The question is whether to do it like Neve did, with a bunch of separate boards, each a simple part of the overall circuit, and a whole lot of wiring, or ala Igor, with a main board and a switch board, encompassing the entire circuit
and whether to include / exclude the limiter...

Well I know it's not good to compare plugins but V-comp is the 2254 emulation right?
I quite like using the limiter function on that sometimes, so I would like to add this.
Will need to allow space for extra pcb and txf.
I do like dirty1 1garys project and looking forward to him getting it going fully.
I'm going to try and do a stereo 2254 in a 2U based on this other project.

2254 block diagram and module schemos are in the Tech Docs section - that's a good start, and there is also the manuals for the 2254 and 33609 floating about ..

I'm just starting up on a tg build now ...  should be fun :)

Alex. I hope you share your build in the TG section. That would be really cool! :) Darrick.

I've made both Igor's 2254 and the tg 12413, and you won't be disappointed in either. The 2254 lives on my drum buss. The tg can pump a little more when hammered and has a little sparkle on top sort of like an la3a. In the tg I have  opa 604's and marinair t1448 on inputs and  freed 32035 outputs. 

I'll be doing my TG with Jensen JT-11P- 1 10K/10K at the input - if necessary, I can change that to a stepup.

And nice  Jensen JT-11SP-6M  600/600 at the outputs.  :)  These are impressive!

It's the Igor tg set and I'll be using the traffo-doa-bypass pcb set up for  doa+traffo output.

Pretty sure that lot will be 'clean as they come' - no crunch from these traffos at all  :)

I'll be interested to hear the result - I've not done a diode bridge compressor before.

At the moment, I'm bashing the 'clean'  e-guitar around with the 'Joe Weak' build I did. (similar to an LA4).

The 'Joe Weak' is  really a smash-it-all type of compressor, but the 'Blend' control lets you  ..  blend ... with the dry path, so it can be made quite unique.

It has the ability to really make the leading edge of a note 'pop',  (in a good way) - not really noticed that in another comp - it's not the annoying 'time delay' type 'quack' from a plug-in, like.  But more similar to the popping of a bass note, or kick hit - it has a lot of impact on a 'walking jazz' type of guitar picking thing :) I have to try it on the bass.

But the 'joe weak' definately takes a lot more time to dial in than I like .... 

The 'jlm opto' is much more refined, imho - it has a lot less control-age too, so one can 'set and forget'. Super smooth at all times. Everytime! I racked with a fet  DI and neotek strip and it gets a lot of usage for the clean-smooth thing on acoustic. Preamp ain't much,  but the EQ is quite good.

Ahh  .. some many compressors ...  so little time!  I use the 'la2a type' build more than anything else, with the 'doac opto' more or less next in line!  It makes me a little sad that I don't use the other ones so much ...

In truth, for real 'must-get-right-first-time' stuff, the 'companders' in my yamaha 03D blitz anything -  for just 'safe sound' type of thing when tracking  :)  mmmmmm ...  sacriligeous!

Anyway - my tgs will be a while before completion : I have a powered rack with rear panel and I/O sorted, and am just now starting the pcb populations and front panel  - I have the fine discretes kit and heat sinks from one of our esteemed members  :)  Thanks!

My  TG is a 3ru affair, with the wonderful 'mci tripplet' for vu meters (with buffer!)  and some awesome 'simpson' edge wise VU that I will rig for GR indication.

eta might be a while off yet - the winter is slow to let go down here at world's (southern) end - too cold for these old fingers to solder itsy-bitsy transistors and the like. But I'll post a washup of how it goes for sure.,

I built all three (snobby, eh?  :p):

33609: http://twin-x.com/groupdiy/thumbnails.php?album=469
2254 and TG12413: http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=63350.0

Of the three builds the 33609 was the most straight forward one - Igor did an amazing job when designing the PCBs...

A bit more difficult is the TG 12413 due to the various options. I integrated the hold control as per original one. Pay special attention to the diode bridge and get 30-50pcs. NOS ones for selecting - this is extremely crucial to this unit.

The 2254 was a pain as I built it using the Wonderland PCB Kit that reassembles the original cards. In addition there are failures in the original documentation. Jens mentioned Colin's doc for his 2254 - GOOD TIP:  This was key to get mine up and running. If I had to built it again I would definitely go with Colins Kit... wiring cards like in the 70ies is really cumbersome... :eek:

Soundwise all of them are different beasts (my subjective opinion).
You would assume that at least the 2254 and the 33609 are similar - They are not!
I would call the 2254 more mid-forward for single tracks and the 33609 the gentleman that lives on a bus or the sum to just 'kiss' the signal.
The TG12413 can be what you want it to be, but in my opinion it really shines when pushed. Squashed Drum OH are killer with this one... 'Dani California' snare sound? - TG does the trick...

Back