Drip 670 v3 Help

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimfowler

Some of my voltage readings are off...and generally on the high side.  Where I'm supposed to have 440, I have ~520, -19 I have -24.5 and -14 I'm at -17.5.  These are measured at the power supply.  All voltages to main board tubes (6973, 6386, 12ax7/bh7) are normal and all adjustable voltages are (obviously) adjusted correctly. 

If anybody is familiar with the circuit I sure could use some pointers. 

- Jim

Still waiting for a reply from him.  His power supply differs from the original and I don't have a schematic for his, which would be of some help.

I've built two Drip Pultecs and a LA-2A. He definitely used to be better with customer support. That's an expensive build you're doing. I am disappointed to hear he's not supporting what is arguably his flagship product. And he claims it's true to the original design, so I'm also surprised to hear he changed the power supply.

I'm not familiar with working on 670's, but start at the transformer and follow the traces. Do you have a schematic for the original?

Got a response from Greg and the over-voltage can be address by utilizing the second primary tap on the mains transformer.  As per Hammond's website:

"For those customers who are seeing too high a secondary voltage due to higher primary line voltages (roughly 125V input ) - use the White & Black wire and tape the gray wire (see above schematic)."

Primary side has two taps: 115 and 125.  I was using 115 (by default, I suppose...never gave it much thought).  Now it's wired to 125.  So, it was simply a matter of swapping mains transformer primary wires.  After the swap, it was spot on the money at 440V.  So far this compressor is buttery smooth...very stoked to have it up and running.  Gonna put it through the paces this weekend. 

Back