Cobbling together a pair of AKG c414 XLS/2s

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecr4ne

I came upon a pair of PCB assemblies for AKG C414 XLS/2's and got a pair of AK12 (CK12-copy) Capsules from Advanced Audio. I don't have bodies for these yet, because they're not standard tube/rail type mics, I'm probably gonna end up buying the bodies and over-priced button assemblies from AKG...once my bank account recovers from...buying stuff....
I got some stainless steel mesh to make grills. Still need to put together a stamping rig to actually form them, but it shouldn't be too complicated.

Pic:
http://i.imgur.com/7yhoySI.jpg

I'd love to hear any advice or thoughts anyone has about this. If anyone's got experience working on newer 414s, I'd love to pick your brain.

Cheers.

Will be problematic.

the XLS and later C414 Derivates use a 90V polarization voltage to lower their self noise, which will be problematic for the capsules that have been designed for 60V polarization voltage, such as the CK12 and their copies.
In best case you get a strange frequency response behaviour; in worst case the capsule will colapse.

tonzauber said:
the XLS and later C414 Derivates use a 90V polarization voltage...

I cant find a Schematic for these, where are you getting this info? Can you provide some relevant documentation?

I reached out to some techs who work on AKG mics and they're saying the same. Looks like this won't work unless I get the proper capsules from AKG directly. Along with the bodies and other parts I'd need from them, I may as well just buy a used pair instead.

Dave at Advanced Audio, from whom I bought my capsules, was kind enough to offer me a demo pair of his CM414s at a discounted price, so I took him up on that

I'm totally open to this, but since these are all surface mount components on pre-fab PC boards, and there seem to be no schematics available, I'm not really sure where to start. I'd love any advice you can offer.

ln76d said:
Or just try to lower polarisation voltage.

If you can't start from the bottom, then start from the top ;)
Find the point where polarisation voltge is applied to the capsule, and try to trace the rest.
It's also possible from the xlr side. Multimeter is enough.
Measure voltage in reference to ground.
I did polarisation voltage mod on nt1a circuit, where sitution is similar.

ln76d said:
If you can't start from the bottom, then start from the top ;)
Find the point where polarisation voltge is applied to the capsule, and try to trace the rest.
It's also possible from the xlr side. Multimeter is enough.
Measure voltage in reference to ground.
I did polarisation voltage mod on nt1a circuit, where sitution is similar.

Again, I'm not really sure where to start. I'm a novice with electronics and have a very rudimentary understanding (or misunderstanding) of Mic circuits, so please understand my trepidation.

http://imgur.com/a/PETqd

I've included some photos in the above link. You'll see the High Impedence Boards, where the capsules connect, are covered in some sort of protective coating. One is an opaque white, the other clear.  If you'd like more detailed photos, I can try to take some with a real camera later.

Basically I need very clear instructions of what/where to measure to determine what I'm trying to find, and then what could be added/subtracted to/from the circuit to lower the polarization voltage without any adverse side effects.

Sorry but i'm not able to help you.
Without the board in my hands i can't tell what is connected where.
There's no option to see connections from the pics.
You could try to use ultimeter beeper and look point by point  where's polarisation voltage path (if protective coating will let you).

Back