phono preamp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salomonander

hey
i bit of a noob question im afraid. id like to get back into sampling and therefore connect my technics 1200 turntable again.
whats the best way to connect it to a balanced system? i do not really feel like buying an expensive preamp since i have tons of line and micpres at hand. could i use two transformers in order to feed them to say a micpre? if so, what kind of transformers would i be looking for?

cheers
jakob

You will need an RIAA preamp which includes the appropriate eqaulisation for magnetic cartridges/ Most cartridges need a load of about 47K so a mic pre or line input are not going to be usitable. There are lots riaa preamps available and they all output what they call 'line' level. You should be able to feed this into any regular pro 10K line input.

Cheers

Ian

Yup, RIAA playback involve about 40 dB nominal gain at 1kHz with EQ that rises 20 dB from 1K at 20 Hz, and falls 20 dB from 1K at 20kHz...

Just to sample some sound without worrying about accuracy boost the pee out of bass and cut the pee out of treble.

Or pick up a used proper preamp, must be millions of them in attics and basements.

JR

thanks guys. i wasnt aware if the filtering. just found some neumann phone module that does just that for cheap. easy solution and hopefully a good one.

Latest posts

Back