Capacitor leakage use or trash?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMK

Hi,
Just finished my p2p pultec 1a amp section, and  tested some  .25/22 mfd caps used between the AX7-AU7
In circiut, most of them are old pio leaking  0.5-2 VDC.
I would really like to hear what you guys find acceptable,  i like the way some of the old caps sound, but not just for 6 months :)

Cheers

I'm having a bit of a hard time reading this, and I don't think it's a "language" thing as much as it is overuse of abbreviations:
JMK said:
Hi,
Just finished my p2p pultec 1a amp section,
Okay, p2p is point-to-point, like much/most equipment was 50+ years ago, and a significant part of what goes on in this forum.
and  tested some  .25/22 mfd caps
I'm scratching my head. Are these a capacitance of 0.25 at 22 volts? Okay (after second reading of the whole, maybe its 0.25 or 0.22 - it can't be 22 volts, these are surely coupling capacitors in tube circuits with maybe 250 volts across them). The mfd is immediately readable to me as microfarads, perhaps because when I was growing up learning about these things capacitors still used an m or even M as the prefix for micro. But the established prefix (using ASCII characters) has been the letter u for a few decades now (so it would be 0.22uF), in spite of older capacitors still saying "MFD" for microfarads (uF) or even "MMFD" for picofarads (pF).

Well, okay, that was a rant, even if I still don't know the value(s) of these caps, nor the voltage ratings.

Well, maybe the whole post is a rant...
used between the AX7-AU7
This took a minute, but in context this would be 12AX7 and 12AU7 (the venerable twin-triode miniature 9-pin vacuum tubes).
In circiut, most of them are old pio leaking  0.5-2 VDC.
I still have no clue what "pio" is. Capacitor leakage is usually states as a current, not a voltage, but I'm guessing you're looking at a grid connected to perhaps a 1 megohm resistor to ground, and the voltage is from the current going through that resistor.
I would really like to hear what you guys find acceptable,  i like the way some of the old caps sound, but not just for 6 months :)

Cheers
Offhand (and if I'm reading this right) as it appears to make for a significant change in bias, I'm thinking these are unacceptable.

It should only take a few seconds or less for the capacitor to charge up to whatever voltage  it's supposed to be so that the grid or plate is at the same voltage whether the capacitor is connected or not.

PIO = Paper In Oil

Agree that when taking a minute to write clearly SAVES hundreds of readers many seconds each working-it-out, clarity should have priority.

Latest posts

Back