Paypal down?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/major-hack-takes-down-amazon-netflix-twitter-spotify/Content?oid=3916212

"Another wave of internet outages has caused traffic to lock up on websites including Twitter, Reddit and Netflix, just hours after a cyber attack against DNS provider Dyn caused sites such as Amazon to go dark across half the United States."

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/10/when-the-entire-internet-seems-to-break-at-once/504956/

"For more than two hours on Friday morning, much of the web seemed to grind to a halt— .... The New York Times, Twitter, Pinterest, Reddit, GitHub, Etsy, Tumblr, Spotify, PayPal, Verizon, Comcast, EA, the Playstation network, and others."

I don't know if they were used in this attack but I've read that they are using cheap internet connected appliances like room thermostats, even internet connected light bulbs to mount large scale denial of service attacks.

Since people don't upload new more secure  software into old "internet of things" things, more could be compromised.

JR

there are a lot of sites down this morning.

Huge cyber attack in the U.S. shutting down major DNS servers  causing all kinds of problems... Started early morning U.S. time and a second one around 9AM california time.

Something similar couple weeks ago here, I used to use google DNS but internet seemed to stop working almost completely, once loaded a FHD video run without troubles. Few pings and traces and I started suspecting on the DNS, swapped for some random one I found nearby and problem solved. Few local friends had the same problem that day, whapp helped to distribute working DNS addresses.

JS

joaquins said:
  Something similar couple weeks ago here, I used to use google DNS but internet seemed to stop working almost completely, once loaded a FHD video run without troubles. Few pings and traces and I started suspecting on the DNS, swapped for some random one I found nearby and problem solved. Few local friends had the same problem that day, whapp helped to distribute working DNS addresses.

JS
It was a denial of service attack not a domain name server problem.

An avalanche of pings overwhelmed several high profile servers. It may  have impacted different DNS differently but that was coincidental. (I believe).

I am not the web guru here but did stay in a holiday inn a few years ago.  8)

JR

JohnRoberts said:
It was a denial of service attack not a domain name server problem.

An avalanche of pings overwhelmed several high profile servers. It may  have impacted different DNS differently but that was coincidental. (I believe).

I am not the web guru here but did stay in a holiday inn a few years ago.  8)

JR

I'm not saying the same problem, not even the same region or time, I couldn't access the web of the university hosted 10 blocks from home in the proprietary server, but no problems to stream high quality videos probably not hosted anywhere as near. Plus, the google DNS, while still using the same IP address, wouldn't be hosted in the same place as it's mirrored for better response (I have 30ms ping to 8.8.8.8, I bet you too are in the same range)

I also believe it wasn't the only DNS having troubles here as I had to try a few till I found one working properly, but I can't confirm that. In a few years of using the same DNS this was the first time I saw it fail ant it was for over a day, I can't settle for maintenance reasons.

As popular as it is now the google DNS, an effective attack to a single server would annoy a reasonable amount of people for some time, while a single profile server mal function won't do much harm. Of course changing the DNS solves the problem, it took me a few minutes to do so but it would take till I get back to town to my mom to solve it.

JS

Just read an article about this and more than a simple denial of service against fixed IP addresses but they actually attacked a company managing the DNS service that associates the IP addresses to website names (domain name server). That company coincidentally (or not) is named Dynamic Network Services, INC or Dyn.

The internet in many ways is like the wild west with pirates. Many people's devices are hacked to participate in these attacks and they don't even know it.

JR

> not a domain name server problem.

Maybe you missed reply #4 posted 20+ hours before this post?

Millions of IoT devices DoSed a major DNS service. In several waves.

PRR said:
> not a domain name server problem.

Maybe you missed reply #4 posted 20+ hours before this post?

Millions of IoT devices DoSed a major DNS service. In several waves.
Sorry I don't click on every link, especially videos...

This has been all over the news for days, and today I read my (paper) newspaper coverage. I kind of like getting the real story even if it is a day late.

Over the years I have been tangled up in server software upgrade cycles to keep the wolves out of my business website. It is a major PIA that never stops.  Denial of service is an old blunt instrument generally targeted at single websites, this attack of a DNS provider seems different, an escalation that could predict worse to come.

Doing hand to hand combat with spammers here on an almost daily basis is a reminder of how weakly policed the WWW is.  And these are the slender few spammers who get through, not the many who try.

Now we have state supported actors in play (not that we have completely clean hands in that regard).

Interesting times.

JR

Back