prop 52, 62 etc etc

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kambo

how do you vote yes/no for specific prop...
there are some couple of TV  spots about specific props, bits thats it...

really !?  :eek:

> how do you vote yes/no for specific prop...

Usually at the same time you vote for Mayor, Senator, etc. If you are in the US, there's an election coming real soon.

In my town, they give you a printed ballot. On the front is People. On the back is Propositions. I make my marks, fold, and turn it in.

You may have a machine. In old days it was huge and had mechanical levers. The Person/Proposition was printed on a slip next to each lever. Flip the levers you like. They were interlocked so you could not vote two people for the same office. When all set, work a huge lever which locked your votes, punched a tape, and opened the privacy curtain. Now it may be laptop size machines in very expensive boxes to look secure.

In old days you had to show up at the right polling place (town hall, school cafeteria, conference room) on the right Tuesday during the right hours. Many areas now allow good Absentee voting. I went to my town clerk and said I wanted an absentee ballot. Because I had voted here before, I was Known and did not have to show ID (this varies; you like to have driver license and a recent utility bill). A lot of signing and dating, then she turned her head while I made my marks. (A friend took hers home and sent it back.) Sealed ballot in envelope. More dating and signing, I was done. If I _do_ show up in person, they will discard my absentee ballot un-opened; else it presumably counts.

My answers: Yes Yes No Yes Yes.

If you don't know, you may have never voted, and may not be Registered. Some areas require voters to register well before the election. Many now accept same-day registration. You should find out how your area does it, and what proof of residence they want. Rent, electric, or town-tax bills in your name and address are often good. I think the old days when you could only vote if your grandfather had voted {no G} are now gone.

Call your county Democrats headquarters to find out how, when, where to vote, and maybe ask for a ride to the polls.

You can also call the Republicans. This isn't real political, But IME the Dems are more organized about helping voters.

You can get advice, even a ride, from either party, and then vote for the Pot Party. They can't come into the voting booth with you.

california,

A ballot measure is a piece of proposed legislation to be approved or rejected by eligible voters. Ballot measures are also known as "propositions" or simply "questions". Ballot measures differ from most legislation passed by representative democracies; ordinarily, an elected legislature develops and passes laws.

In many U.S. states, ballot measures may originate by several different processes:

1.Initiative, in which any citizen or organization may gather a predetermined number of signatures to qualify a measure for the ballot

2.Popular referendum, in which a predetermined number of signatures (typically lower than the number required for an initiative) qualifies a ballot measure repealing a specific act of the legislature;

3.Legislative referral (aka "legislative referendum"), in which the legislature puts proposed legislation up for popular vote (either voluntarily or, in the case of a constitutional amendment as a required procedure).

When you go to vote on Nov 8th, or if you vote absentee ahead of time you vote for the propositions.  If you did not receive your voting information packet you are either not registered to vote or there was a mistake in the mail.  Make sure you are registered to vote so you can vote for or against all them propositions and pick the persons you want running the show.

> you can vote for or against all them propositions

To clarify-- you do not have to answer "all" the questions.

Here we have to elect a Probate Commissioner. I know it is important. I know a bad-guy in that office could steal money from dead people. We have to be able to vote the bum out. However I don't know this guy. And he is running un-opposed, which means the Other Party doesn't have any strong objection. I left that box blank. (However in contested races I do usually pick my preference even if it is unlikely.) Likewise I have seen some dubious Questions in the past which I left blank.

this link for CA...
https://ballotpedia.org/California_2016_ballot_propositions

Back