preamp, not passing signal.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I understand correctly, my- goes to pin 2 & positive to 3 of 1/2 of the NE5532, positive 18v to pin 8, ground to pin 4. Then, I use a pair of matched resistors to create a voltage divider which would give me 9v to pin 5,  pin 6 then combines with pin 7 for my output?

PRR said:
> Will this work

No. Did you read the TI paper? Or am I just pissing in the ocean?

I've read it. Im missing something. Since im not using a +/- power supply,  I must use a virtual ground by using a pair of resistors as a voltage divider to provide both the +/- at the output. Since the virtual ground is half way between 18v and ground, I'd feed the divider into the non-inverting input of the 2nd NE5532 (it's dual) and then feed the inverting input to pin 7 giving me both at output?

Do I just use the voltage divider to send the 9v in and not use the 2nd op amp in the NE5532 at all? I'm lost and can't figure this out PRR.

Since doing how the TI sheet said is "wrong" how am I to do it?

Think I understand now. It should look like this?

https://postimg.org/image/qm7jkyxtb/

Leek said:
The picture of my input stage is exactly what I have on a breadboard at the moment. I've already posted a picture of this.
A picture is NOT a schematic!

1) Your schematic defines what you want to do.  Get your schematic right first.

2) Then you make breadboard or PCB bla bla to replicate what is on your schematic.

3) You have to formally check that your breadboard/PCB/bla bla is EXACTLY what your schematic shows.

Trying to work out what a circuit is doing from a pic is a lot of guesswork ... especially if the circuit has never worked properly  :eek:

Think I understand now. It should look like this?

https://postimg.org/image/qm7jkyxtb/
BRAVO!!  That's the best & clearest bit of info (a nearly complete schematic) you've given us.

It could still be better .. eg I hate the background and what's the resistor between pins 1 & 3 of the XLR for?

BTW, its good to number your components .. eg R1, R2 etc.  Saves a LOT of confusion

The worst fault is your "pins 5, 6 and 7 to reference ground".  This may cause problems and probably increase the current consumption needlessly ...  the output is usually undefined if the +ve & -ve inputs are connected together.

It should be like this.

I leave you to fill in pins 5, 6  and 7 as a worthwhile exercise .. but if you drew this, even without the pin numbers, people versed in the art will know exactly what you mean and intend.

By trying to describe it in words, you have managed to confuse even the most experienced gurus among us  :eek:

Attachments

• U2.png
    U2.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 1
Thank you Ricardo. The resistor at the input of the XLR was a drawing error. I've changed the 2nd amp in the NE5532 to what you provided. Thank you guys so much for the help. I know I've been a hassle, but the knowledge is almost priceless.  Now to work out my BC547/BC557 preamp stage and the unbalanced 1/4" output.

Get some light on your paper. Crop the image.

Yes, qm7jkyxtb will work.

One minor point: the 10K:10K divider adds 5K to the audio resistance of the un-numbered 100K which should match the other  un-numbered 100K. Also it injects half the supply crap into the amplifier input. A cursory review of single-supply plans shows we usually put a  cap on the Vref.

Now back up. This is a Microphone preamp? It is not just a balanced-unbalanced function. Mike signals are weak. We need to recover the signal with least harm.

The microphone is a 200 Ohm resistor giving both precious signal and annoying hiss. Now you have added 2*12K of resistors which hiss but do not produce precious signal. This is not the lowest-hiss mike input around. Even if the 12K were 1K each, such mike inputs have audibly excess hiss.

PRR said:
Get some light on your paper. Crop the image.

Yes, qm7jkyxtb will work.

One minor point: the 10K:10K divider adds 5K to the audio resistance of the un-numbered 100K which should match the other  un-numbered 100K. Also it injects half the supply crap into the amplifier input. A cursory review of single-supply plans shows we usually put a  cap on the Vref.

Now back up. This is a Microphone preamp? It is not just a balanced-unbalanced function. Mike signals are weak. We need to recover the signal with least harm.

The microphone is a 200 Ohm resistor giving both precious signal and annoying hiss. Now you have added 2*12K of resistors which hiss but do not produce precious signal. This is not the lowest-hiss mike input around. Even if the 12K were 1K each, such mike inputs have audibly excess hiss.

So, I need to match the two 100k resistours? Get a cap between the Vref (1000uf,25v electro) to ground. Also, replace the 12k resistors with matched lower ohm (gonna try 100 ohm 1% metal film) resistors to help get rid of hiss. I will replace this on my schematic and post the new updated one for review soon.

> replace the 12k resistors ... lower ohm (gonna try 100 ohm

What is the Voltage Gain?

Is that reasonable for a mike amp?

PRR said:
> replace the 12k resistors ... lower ohm (gonna try 100 ohm

What is the Voltage Gain?

Is that reasonable for a mike amp?

I'm not sure PRR. What would be my best option to help get rid of noise? I'm still learning here.

With the opamp, I plan to feed a transistor stage and then unbalanced output. Im wanting atleast 55db of gain from the circuit.

Here is my updated schematic. Now wanting to add a 10k pot to control gain/volume and get confirmation this will work, if possible.

https://postimg.org/image/pngh6bk8z/

Leek said:
Nobody?  :'(

Per your most recent schematic, an exercise:

1) Calculate the no-signal voltage at pin 3 of op amp 1A.

2) Calculate the no-signal voltage on the base and both collectors(?) of BC547

3) Op amp 1B, you almost got that, but where might be a better place to connect pin 5, other than ground, or in this case of a single-ended supply, the (-)rail?

You might consider using op amp 1B as a second stage, instead of a discrete transistor. In my opinion, op amp design has a shallower learning curve than using discrete transistors.

I believe I have a good feel for where you are in the whole EE learning curve, congrats on getting this far, you are getting close to a working pre amp, but there are still some basics (hint-capacitors) that you missed. How well it works, will take a bit longer. I encourage you to stick with it.

Gene

Gene Pink said:
Per your most recent schematic, an exercise:

1) Calculate the no-signal voltage at pin 3 of op amp 1A.

2) Calculate the no-signal voltage on the base and both collectors(?) of BC547

3) Op amp 1B, you almost got that, but where might be a better place to connect pin 5, other than ground, or in this case of a single-ended supply, the (-)rail?

You might consider using op amp 1B as a second stage, instead of a discrete transistor. In my opinion, op amp design has a shallower learning curve than using discrete transistors.

I believe I have a good feel for where you are in the whole EE learning curve, congrats on getting this far, you are getting close to a working pre amp, but there are still some basics (hint-capacitors) that you missed. How well it works, will take a bit longer. I encourage you to stick with it.

Gene

Thank you Gene. I'm still working everything out. I could use the NE5532 as the second stage. I do also have another NE5532 and a few other amps.  I'm not quite sure what caps I've missed. But, I will definitely spend more time figuring it out. Can you perhaps provide a little insight where to start with the missing caps?

Also, I have a few BC547, BC557, 2N2904 and I'm wanting to incorporate them for the low noise and sound. Possibly even add transformers after I get a working transformerless circuit. I plan to develop and learn as much as I can. I'm not looking to build a forsell or neve quality preamp, but to learn and use as much knowledge as I van to mod myexisting equipment or to build pieces I want.

Also, Gene in my case, im using my -rail as my ground by connecting my ground to it.

Leek said:
Here is my updated schematic. Now wanting to add a 10k pot to control gain/volume and get confirmation this will work, if possible.

https://postimg.org/image/pngh6bk8z/

I'll give you couple more hints. C3 should be parallel with R3 and you're missing a 100k resistor there too. That transistor stage won't work as drawn there either.

Heikki said:
I'll give you couple more hints. C3 should be parallel with R3 and you're missing a 100k resistor there too. That transistor stage won't work as drawn there either.

So, connect C3 to the resistor leads to put it in parallel, keep the + towards the supply voltage and - towards a 100k resistor to ground?  Also, no experience with transistors. I have no idea how to come idea how to come up with a good output stage. R4 is in series with R3 (with cap in parallel). I made a mistake in drawing.

Here is what I've drew now.
https://postimg.org/image/jetwp1m45/

If you take a look at the TI paper again you might realize R4 should go from R3, R5 junction to R1, pin3 junction.

Latest posts

Back