.1MD3 cap?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joakimkarlthomas

I'm modding a DBX 163x and found that two film capacitors looks in bad shape. Seems like a leakage around them. In the schematic they're called ".1MD3" which seems to be 0.1 uf (from google search) but on the caps it says "334J" and "334K" and 334 is 0.33 uf I also found out. So what uF should I replace them with? They are C12 and C16.

Schematic found here:

http://www2.dbxpro.com/product_downloads/Schematics/163X%20Schematic.pdf

> In the schematic they're called ".1MD3"  ...  C12 and C16.

?? There's no ".1MD3" on that schematic.

What I see at C12 C16 is 0.33u. Look at attached clip.

Attachments

• 1MD.gif
    1MD.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 13
If it's a film cap I may not have leaked, but that may be glue/cement used to secure the part to the PCB... Large film caps (like a .33uF) are relatively massive for their lead diameter and can break from vibration if not secured well.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
If it's a film cap I may not have leaked, but that may be glue/cement used to secure the part to the PCB... Large film caps (like a .33uF) are relatively massive for their lead diameter and can break from vibration if not secured well.

JR

I looked again. You're prob right. It looks and feels like it's glue. Thanks!

> It says ".1MD3" on

On over a dozen parts in this version. What do the other ones say.

I was also going to say, but JR said it before my brain reached my fingers.... film caps don't "leak". Maybe spilled beer? And very-very often some "goo" so heavy caps don't rip off in shipping.

PRR said:
> It says ".1MD3" on

On over a dozen parts in this version. What do the other ones say.

I was also going to say, but JR said it before my brain reached my fingers.... film caps don't "leak". Maybe spilled beer? And very-very often some "goo" so heavy caps don't rip off in shipping.
I liked to use polyester in audio poles because of their good behavior for modest cost. We used to run new prototypes on a shaker table over night to test for mechanical vulnerabilities. We would often find larger film caps broken completely off and rolling around loose in the bottom of the chassis. 

JR

Back