Converting MONO mixer to STEREO?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdurango

I'd like to convert an oldschool tube broadcast mixing console to have a stereo output and pan knobs. I know an EXTREMELY simple way to do this would be to utilize one of the aux busses for mixdown (ie. aux out becomes LEFT OUT, main mix becomes RIGHT OUT)....which works, but it's a little "ghetto".

How much work would be involved in a simple, elegant stereo conversion? I'd prefer to avoid adding transformers and to each channel for isolation if possible. Preferably, it would be a simple parallel split from the existing bus to create another....obviously each bus would pass through appropriate resistors and dual-concentric pots for panning until arriving at their respective outputs.

Thanks in advance for the help!

I'd like to convert an oldschool tube broadcast mixing console to have a stereo output and pan knobs. I know an EXTREMELY simple way to do this would be to utilize one of the aux busses for mixdown (ie. aux out becomes LEFT OUT, main mix becomes RIGHT OUT)....which works, but it's a little "ghetto".

How much work would be involved in a simple, elegant stereo conversion? I'd prefer to avoid adding transformers and to each channel for isolation if possible. Preferably, it would be a simple parallel split from the existing bus to create another....obviously each bus would pass through appropriate resistors and dual-concentric pots for panning until arriving at their respective outputs.

Thanks in advance for the help!

PS: also posting this on gearslutz

There are a couple of ways to go about this. The simplest would use a left/centre/right toggle switch. The advantage is it is small and easier to fit and simple to wire in. The alternative is a single pot pan pot or a dual pot pan pot.

In all cases you need a separate bus and output amplifier.

A schematic would help us advise you better.

Cheers

Ian

It's not trivial, using existing auxes seems pretty simple.

It's not trivial, using existing auxes seems pretty simple.

JR

PS: Please excuse me for not answering you on Gearslutz

Back